• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI H55M-E21 RAM Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxysadm

:bang head Hi Folks! I'm new in the forum and the OC world, so please be kind xD

Today at work they brought me this mother MSI H55M-E21 and request for a RAM upgrade. So I bought 2 modules of Kingston KVR13N9S8/4, and when I tried to install it I found out I need to OC the DRAM to use it.

I tried to follow this guide http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-clarkdale/3/ but I didn't understand very much. I need to get this to work, the mobo is in default values, but I don't know what to change to make it take the 8 GB 1333 .

I would appreciate if you can guide me on this, because I need to send this computer tomorrow night and don't know what to do any more -.-"

Thx in advance,

Why would you need to overclock that ram to use it? It should default to those speeds. 1333 is in fact the default/jedec specification to work in every motherboard.

Can you elaborate a bit please? What isnt working?

EDIT: I went to MSI site for that motherboard and it supports 8GB 1333MHz out of the box (no overclocking).

DDR3 Memory DDR3 1066/1333/1600* (OC)

Why would you need to overclock that ram to use it? It should default to those speeds. 1333 is in fact the default/jedec specification to work in every motherboard.

Can you elaborate a bit please? What isnt working?

EDIT: I went to MSI site for that motherboard and it supports 8GB 1333MHz out of the box (no overclocking).

Thank you for your reply! , when I install one of the 2 modules on the slot 1, and turn on the computer, the screen shows:

OS Speed: 133x23=3059MHz
DRAM frecuency for DDR3 1333 (Single Chanel)

Initializing USB controllers .. Done.
1213MB OK

and then it freezes and don't boot or let me go to the BIOS settings, I tried both memories on another computer ( same mobo ) and the same happens, and if I look at http://www.msi.com/file/test_report/TR10_2150.pdf It shows only 1gb modules for dd3, I can't change the memory or the mobo because its from work and its what i got, so I have to figure it out why is not working, the ram works because I test it on another computer and took it without any problems, so i dont know if I have to change anything on the Bios so can take this one. I have 2 modules of KVR13N9S8/4 .

If I put kVR1333D3N9/2G the computer Boot without problem, I don't know why it takes the 2 gb module and not the 4GB.. Hope you can guide me on this one.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
There are a couple of 4GB modules on that list. Not yours, but 4GB sticks the same. I don't know why it wouldnt take it.

You did remove the old sticks to put the new in, correct?

There are a couple of 4GB modules on that list. Not yours, but 4GB sticks the same. I don't know why it wouldnt take it.

You did remove the old sticks to put the new in, correct?

yes, It hast 2 modules, so I did remove the 2gb Mem to put the 4 GB ( I actually put the 2 modules of 4, but when didn't boot I start trying one at time, with no succeed.

Thats why I think I might need to give it more voltage or something so it can boot, but there is no much info about this mobo on Google so im kind of lost here. :bang head

Put the working sticks back in. Get in the bios. Set the voltage, speed, and timings for the new sticks manually. Save and power off. Put the new sticks in and cross your fingers. :)

Put the working sticks back in. Get in the bios. Set the voltage, speed, and timings for the new sticks manually. Save and power off. Put the new sticks in and cross your fingers. :)
I dont know what is the Voltage, speed and timming I need to put for the KVR13N9S8/4 :(

Sry I'm a total noob on this!

The label on the sticks will tell you, or you can google the product number and go to newegg or the product page to find out.

EDIT: Weird, I dont see it. Try 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5v.

At the BIOS the default ( after set opt def.) is 9-9-9-24 , Dram voltage (auto) and a the right on the description it says
auto=1.630V
min=0.978V
max=1.898V

If I put one module the computer boot, if I put both, it freezes at start and don't let me go to the setup :(

The fact that the KVR1333D3N9/2G modules work and the KVR13N9S8/4 modules don't suggests the board may not support single rank DIMMs (1Rx8).

The fact that the KVR1333D3N9/2G modules work and the KVR13N9S8/4 modules don't suggests the board may not support single rank DIMMs (1Rx8).

Hi!
Any news on this?
I am having the same issue here.
I've been using H55M-E23 with 2 x DDR3 PC3-10700 Nanya cards, 2 GB each.
Yesterday I decided to upgrade - bought 2x KINGSTON KVR16N11S8/4, 4GB DDR3, 1600MHz, CL11.
When I insert both in the system, it freezes at the first screen (when displaying Mobo logo). When I try to only use one module, the system passes the first phase, but gets a BSOD at OS startup with error BAD_POOL_HEADER.

I've tried pretty much most of what I've read around here:
- not mixed old and new modules or of different types.
- removed any peripherals
- cleared CMOS
- BIOS load optimized defaults / BIOS load fail-safe defaults
- updated BIOS to latest version

Please, any advice left for this? I wouldn't want to have to buy a new motherboard as well, right now...
Thanks!

Back