• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Krait Gaming Z170A Motherboard RAM Speed Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twiggy159

Hello,

I've just recently got the Krait Gaming Z170A Motherboard from MSI. I have CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 RAM. After updating the BIOS, I try to set the RAM speed to 3000, with and without XMP. Both ways causes the machine to fail to boot. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on. Has anyone else had a similar issue with this?

Add some System Agent voltage... .1 from what its set at, THEN try to set XMP.

If that doesn't work, then try to roll back on the bios.

go back to where the problem started from, start there, try another bios that the one you updated with then if that doesnt work, maybe that bios you used just doesnt like that ram, try some other ram if you can, sometimes motherboards just dont like the particular ram used

Did the Ram work at 3000MHz before you updated the Bios. If it did not you may have a bad ram stick that wont work at 3000MHz try them separately and see how they clock.

It did work before he updated. That's why I said to add some SA voltage and if that doesn't work, rollback.

Your problem is it's an MSI. Earthdog doesn't agree with me but MSI is crap.
Not helpful, and antagonistic....I'd suggest dropping your attitude about our disagreement (one post..and i backed up my thoughts...) and focus on being helpful to those whose threads you are posting in. Saying MSI sucks isn't helpful, especially considering I neber had issues with any MSI board I've reviwed. That doesn't mean others don't have issues, but we need to work with the OP before we just spit out blanket statements abojt brands...now if this was AMD board... you would have a point. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all the troubleshooting tips. I've tried doing 3000MHz on the stock BIOs and that didn't work. As for bumping the voltage up, I haven't tried that yet and will report back when I will. I did notice that it does work if I clock the RAM to the XMP profile of 2933.

I will go ahead and try the voltage bump and report back.

Back