• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED MSI P67A-G45 (B3) - did I just brick it updating UEFI BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, decided to update the UEFI BIOS on my desktop since it was still running on what looks like the original BIOS for the board. I followed the instructions on MSIs site - copied it to a flash drive, ran the exe, let it do it's thing, and now...it POSTs, gets to the MSI splash screen, and restarts. It's done it about 15 times now, so I doubt it's a part of the normal flash process. At that point, I just hit the power button, cleared the CMOS, and it got to the "New hardware found, what settings do you want to do?" page. I hit go to setup, got the MSI splash screen again, and it started up on the whole reboot cycle again.

Any ideas? I mean, I got some cash on hand, so I could switch get a new board if I did manage to screw this thing over, but I kinda don't want to blow it all on an upgrade I don't need, know what I mean?

Could it be the infinite loop?

Wouldn't that just cause it to sit at one point? As it POSTs, I can see it check off the tests in the lower left hand corner. It goes through all that, gets to the MSI screen, goes dark as if it's about to start booting in windows, then the NVidia bios screen pops up that pops up before the starting tests kick in and it all repeats. I don't know if that would be caused by an infinite loop :shrug:

EDIT: Oh, you mean the thing as a whole? maybe, I don't know.

Update: Uhhh...oops. *slowly backs up against a wall* Either it didn't like the fact I only did a quick format on the USB drive to FAT32 or that I accidently left a USB hard drive plugged in. But I did a full format on the drive and copied everything that the exe copied onto it and unplugged the HDD, and it finished the update process and booted into windows. I'll see myself to the door.

Last edited:
Wouldn't that just cause it to sit at one point? As it POSTs, I can see it check off the tests in the lower left hand corner. It goes through all that, gets to the MSI screen, goes dark as if it's about to start booting in windows, then the NVidia bios screen pops up that pops up before the starting tests kick in and it all repeats. I don't know if that would be caused by an infinite loop :shrug:

EDIT: Oh, you mean the thing as a whole? maybe, I don't know.

Update: Uhhh...oops. *slowly backs up against a wall* Either it didn't like the fact I only did a quick format on the USB drive to FAT32 or that I accidently left a USB hard drive plugged in. But I did a full format on the drive and copied everything that the exe copied onto it and unplugged the HDD, and it finished the update process and booted into windows. I'll see myself to the door.

Haha, Thats good to hear that it wasn't bricked.

The MSI forum is the best place for information about flashing the BIOS, and they tell people to not follow the directions given in the user manuals or at the other part of the website.

With one MSI AM2 board, I had to resort to flashing the BIOS with SPIPGM2 and a printer port.

Back