• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Vs. ASUS Vs. GIGABYTE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColonelOne

Registered
Which of these motherboards is best for a build with a Phenom II X6 1090T processor, 8Gb DDR3 2000 RAM, and 2x Radeon 5770 graphics cards?

MSI
MSI 870A-G54
790FX-GD70

ASUS
M4A785TD-V
M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3

GIGABYTE
GA-870A-UD3

Personally, I wouldn't like any of those boards. The only highend one I see there would be the 790FX board. The others are mid-level boards and mid-level usually have quality control issues. Do you have a specific budget?

Personally, I wouldn't like any of those boards. The only highend one I see there would be the 790FX board. The others are mid-level boards and mid-level usually have quality control issues. Do you have a specific budget?

No specific budget, but probably less than, or right around, $200

Oh...one other thing...and don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to help, not trying to nit pick your stuff. ;)

In my opinion I would steer clear of the 5770s. They are good cards I'm sure, but the 5850 is a whole lot more card for the money. Or even a pair of 5830s. The reason being the 57XXs lineup is limited to a 128 bit memory interface, while the 58XXs are all 256 bit. This makes a really big difference but is often overlooked by people shopping for cards.

If I was you, I'd buy a 5850 now, save up and get another if your on a budget. Or dig around for a cheaper pair of 5830s. My 2 cents. :D

Decided to go with the MSI 890FXA-GD70

I struggled as to what I was going to buy after selling my MSI 790FX GD70 which truly is the best 790FX board if you ask me friggin totally solid and a mad overclocker

I chose Asus Crosshair IV since in all reviews it consistently hits the highest htt/fsb The MSI seemed to have some USB 3.0 issues that may be a challenge to correct with a software fix

I also am running a 1055T so no multiplier to work with but I hit 4ghz easy, since have pulled the board out and will reapply tim to the heatsinks and then adding a push pull H50 setup

The Asus cost me 55 more than the MSI but I think it is worth it for the superior onboard sound and overclocking ability. looks darn good as well , good luck with the MSI , my 790FX was awesome hope their 890FX is similar or at least equal

Back