• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI X58 Platinum (SLI)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lol. Well I'm used to using the bios to oc. I've had issues in the past trying to use windows based proggies to oc.

Has anyone tried to OC with that OC switch? Does that work at all or just a complete waste of time?

For me, it's a waste of time. It's much easier to do it from within the BIOS.

I used it when i had this board.I couldnt get it to boot at the 200mhz setting but at 166 it worked fine.But the performace wasnt very good at all.

Likewise when I still had it. It wouldn't boot when set to 200. It worked fine when set to 166.

Well it looks fine to me.Only thing i dont really like is the Ultra LSP psu.Now if it was an X3 800watt i wouldnt even think twice id go for it.But im sure that psu is fine.Now the cpu.I wonder if its a D0 or C0.Its a shame TD doesnt give spec's like that

I know right? but is Do that big of a deal? All I want is 3.5ghz or maybe 4.0. I'm sure that any other stepings will do.

With proper cooling 4.0Ghz is possible with a C0. Question is why bother paying $800+ on a barebones from TD when for less than that you can build your own by shopping around?

Neb it is true he could build it cheaper by shopping around and buying from the classifeds and stuff,But that can take time.Plus sometimes buying used parts isnt what some poeple want.You got a good deal(as did I) when we made our trade and your cpu.But that system is cheap for the quality parts it uses.So its worth it.But like i said the only part thats questionable is the PSU.But im sure it will get him buy til he needs a better one

With proper cooling 4.0Ghz is possible with a C0. Question is why bother paying $800+ on a barebones from TD when for less than that you can build your own by shopping around?

I did some shopping around, and its not all that cheaper, and if you think about, if you say found a cheaper PSU, but you still have to pay for shipping, and it all adds up so, I thought it might be a lot cheaper to get a Barebones.

You can prove me wrong if you like.

I've had this board for about 2 weeks now. I'm pretty pleased with it so far. Only complaints are some of the voltage adjustments values. For some voltage values the bios doesn't tell you the exact voltage you are putting out. It just list it as + or - so many volts.

In the case of the QPI voltage you really have to guess how many volts you are giving it, you are forced to assume the default voltage is 1.22v.

Another oddity was trying to stabilize my OCZ Platinum sticks @ 7-7-7-24 timings (stock timings). I was using the 2T/2N command rate, and no matter how much voltage I gave the QPI or memory I couldn't get them to stabilize. Only after changing the command rate to 1T/1N were they stable. I found it odd that the 1T command rate would give much better stability over the 2T command rate, especially since I've seen OCZ suggest using a 2T command rate on their forums.

Back