• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Z77 GD65 Gaming question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zero83

Registered
Hi I have this board and have a few questions.

Is anyone using a Corsair H80i water cooler with this board? If so, how does it perform? Are washers needed to properly seat the cooler?

I have plugged a 120mm case fan into front 3pin fan header on board. When I powered on PC, I saw smoke and a blue flash and a pop. Why did I blow the header? (had to RMA the board now I have a brand new one).

Is it OK to use my fans on the 3pin header, or just stick with molex connections?

Thanks in advance.

The board has nothing to do with how the cooler performs. Its the CPU and its characteristics that matter. What CPU are you putting underneath the cooler?

What fan was it that blew the header? Are you sure there isn't an issue with the fan that shorted out the header? Not sure I would plug that fan in to your new board personally.

As far as the washers, I am not sure. I suggest trying it and see while you wait for someone that has that mobo and cooler to respond (could be waiting a while is why I say try).

Normally, it is ok to use that header, sure... just make sure the fan uses less than 1A(12w) (read the sticker on the fan).

Back