• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Z77 MPower, 4 out of 6 USB3.0 ports not working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey

I just got my MSI Z77 Big Bang MPower, and i just noticed that nothing reacts to the top 4 USB3.0 ports of the 6 that is has. Whats odd is that the bottom 2 are fine, which odly enough where the first 2 i used. But nothing happens when i plug in anything into the top 4 USB3.0 ports

I the drivers are installed from the CD...

If those are not the latest drivers, get those from the MSI website and DL them. They all work fine for me.

If those are not the latest drivers, get those from the MSI website and DL them. They all work fine for me.

I did that, and its the same.

But the ports work when not in windows, as in for Bios use they are fine, once it gets into windows, bye bye to 4 ports?

Windows issue?

In the device manager does it show all as ok or is there an '!' point by them? Are they enabled in the BIOS?

Thats what odd, no ! marks, but theres one unknown device, and once USB unknown device, this would still only count for 2 ports, but for odd reasons, my bluetooth device is also acting up, it does install, but comes with error for device not found during install..

Im starting to see a patteren and i think a full windows reinstall might solve it? Who knows? I didnt get these errors during my first install, witht eh new system.

These are just some of the wonky things that can happen when you do this. It may help reinstalling from scratch.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers 10 times and it still isn't working for me. I am new to building computers and i have done as much searching for the answer to this problem that i can. Anyone have any other pointers?

I have tried reinstalling the drivers 10 times and it still isn't working for me. I am new to building computers and i have done as much searching for the answer to this problem that i can. Anyone have any other pointers?

I think i do have the solution for you. As you can see, i was had this problem, and simple driver install took case of it!

But was it that simple. I found that if you head on to MSI's website, and find the drivers for download (for windows 7 64bit - http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77-MPOWER.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7 64)

The first on the list looks like a golden pick! Intel USB3.0 Driver, how could this not fail! It is failing if you have the same issue as me.

After many attempts, i took a closer look. As i looked down the list, the 4th choice in driver also talked about USB3.0, but why? The driver is above (granted its not working, but its there)

I downloaded the "Renesas USB 3.0 Driver (3.xx)" installed it, and off we went with a full set of working USB 3.0 ports!

Hope this helps, as you problems sounds identical to mine.:thup:

(I do know this ^^^^ does not reflect much on what i wrote above that a reinstall worked, it did work, but only cos i picked the other driver and didnt think much about it until days after)

Last edited:
I think i do have the solution for you. As you can see, i was had this problem, and simple driver install took case of it!

But was it that simple. I found that if you head on to MSI's website, and find the drivers for download (for windows 7 64bit - http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77-MPOWER.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7 64)

The first on the list looks like a golden pick! Intel USB3.0 Driver, how could this not fail! It is failing if you have the same issue as me.

As many attempts, i took a closer look. As i looked down the list, the 4th choice in driver also talked about USB3.0, but why? The driver is above (granted its not working, but its there)

I downloaded the "Renesas USB 3.0 Driver (3.xx)" installed it, and off we went with a full set of working USB 3.0 ports!

(I do know this ^^^^ does not reflect much on what i wrote above that a reinstall worked, it did work, but only cos i picked the other driver and didnt think much about it until days after)

I am currently at work. Been struggling with this for a couple days now. I already downloaded the file to a USB and i will attempt this as soon as I get home. I appreciate the help and hopefully it works. If so I will let you know.

After many attempts, i took a closer look. As i looked down the list, the 4th choice in driver also talked about USB3.0, but why? The driver is above (granted its not working, but its there)

THANK YOU. It worked for me finally. I really really appreciate it.

escuse me I already tried the same thing and it doesn't work well it did work for a moment but when I shut the pc down and restarted it they stopped working again( I have exacly the same problem as this guy

The board has 6 USB3.0 ports and Intel has 4 native USB3.0 ports on Z77. This means there is another USB controller on the board for the remaining 2 ports. So, you'll need two different USB3.0 drivers, one for the Intel ports and one for the Renesas USB3.0 ports.

I'm just a new guy who just bought this mobo and I was having the same issue as you so I google it and found this site and yeah I tried both drivers at the same, having only the renesas or only the intel one but either way they work only at the moment and when a I shut down and turn on again it stops working again

Thats strange, mine was fine with only the Renesas USB3.0 for the USB 3 ports.
The USB 2.0 i had no problems with.

I never used the plug for front USB, so i dont know about that.

OSes have their built-in basic hardware drivers as well, so some version of the Intel USB3.0 drivers may have been installed automatically when the OS was installed or updated.

well I'm talking about they back usb 3.0 ports and also the usb 2.0 are just fine but the stange thing is that they all worked with only the renesas driver for a moment and then with the reboot they went off again but only the top 4 usb 3.0 ports stopped working and the bottom 2 still works so I'll try installing the intel driver again

Back