• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Z77 MPower, 4 out of 6 USB3.0 ports not working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well no it's not clean but I'm running the OS on a ssd of 64 gb and the otrher stuff is at the hard drive of 1 tera but don't really think that a bios update can affect the sdd especially when I update from a usb drive

You need to think about a clean install of Win7, then all the MB driver + check whether or not your SSD offers any firmware updates as well. You may have a host of driver related issues/conflicts.

Check USB options in BIOS or maybe faster will be to clear BIOS / load setup defaults or optimal settings ( change only drive boot options ). Next:
1. reinstall Intel chipset ( INF ) driver
2. reinstall Intel USB 3.0 driver
3. reinstall renesas USB 3.0 driver
if it won't help then reinstall system as there is nothing else for USB

BIOS update won't help unless your BIOS copy is corrupted in some way. 17.5 and 17.6 UEFI is working the same for me.

Finally, i have found people with the same problem. From what a noob like me can understand, there are 2 USB 3.0 by intel and 4 USB 3.0 by Renesas. I just received my Z77 MPower from MSI. As soon as it was out of the box and ready to fire i updated the BIOS. from MSI website:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77-MPOWER.html#/?div=BIOS

then went on the drivers page

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77-MPOWER.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win8 64
(make sure your OS is the correct one).

Installed both drivers Intel and Renesas. it was working fine. the following day...all out.
I have noticed that the renesas electronics Host controller and root hub were not in the device manager list anymore. switched PC off and used the second bios (not yet updated). All working fine by then. switched back to Bios 1 (updated), checked USB settings. All good. Noticed that memory speed was at 1333 instead of 1600 as it should be. fixed that. not sure if it is related but, as we speak, the whole rig works fine. I might be able to start OC tomorrow.

I hope it helps.

I just found this thread and have the same problem as well had mobo for 2 months. Noticed the 4 Renases ports stop working 2 weeks ago. Only thing I changed was adding astro usb powered headphones. Hopefully its a coincidence. Also tried redoing drivers several times. Newest from msi site. A problem does show up in device manger. Dont want to reinstall if I can help it.

****Fixed**** sort of... for me anyways :attn:

I have fixed my problems at least for me. I disabled the wifi and bluetooth.
I remembered those devices are plugged to the Renases those usb ports. I dont need the built in wifi or bluetooth controller.

GO into Intergrated Peripherals in bios to disable these.
Seems to me there is a conflict or issue here. Maybe a bios update or newer driver one day will fix this.

I think i do have the solution for you. As you can see, i was had this problem, and simple driver install took case of it!

But was it that simple. I found that if you head on to MSI's website, and find the drivers for download (for windows 7 64bit - http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77-MPOWER.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7 64)

The first on the list looks like a golden pick! Intel USB3.0 Driver, how could this not fail! It is failing if you have the same issue as me.

After many attempts, i took a closer look. As i looked down the list, the 4th choice in driver also talked about USB3.0, but why? The driver is above (granted its not working, but its there)

I downloaded the "Renesas USB 3.0 Driver (3.xx)" installed it, and off we went with a full set of working USB 3.0 ports!

Hope this helps, as you problems sounds identical to mine.:thup:

(I do know this ^^^^ does not reflect much on what i wrote above that a reinstall worked, it did work, but only cos i picked the other driver and didnt think much about it until days after)

I honestly can not thank you enough. I wasn't really searching for anything and ive had my rig for about a year now so finding this has helped me so much.

Back