• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED MSI Z87-GD65 A2 Debug Code

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Legendary64

Registered
Hello, I was trying to figure out how to overclock my i7 4770k so I played around with the Base Clock (default was 100) and set it to 108. Once I did that it crashed and I noticed it's giving me a A2 debug code which flashes before my BIOS shows up. Windows also had crashed for some reason forcing me to do a reinstall. I've successfully overclocked myself now although the A2 debug code is still showing. How can I stop this from happening? Everything is running fine now other than that though.

It might just be the "stuck" code that appears when the system properly POSTs. For example, my MVG keeps "00" on the 7-segment displays even though it has posted properly.

Or it might be a storage device playing silly buggers. Check these too, remove SATA cables, install only your boot drive... you know the drill.

On my board (sig) the "stuck" code is "A0". Back during the socket A (462) days my Epox boards showed "FF", but yet everything worked fine.

To my understanding these codes were the "all is working properly". As long as it goes thru the boot cycle, show the proper code while booting, then gets to desktop and runs normally, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it does bother you, then contact MSI.

I have the MSI Z87 Gaming as well. I've crashed it a few times as well. I learned one way around it was pushing the OC Genie button after it was powered down, as it should be pushed, which would reset the BIOS parameters to either Turbo or Gaming. Depending on the switch setting. I've gotten BSOD's, reboots of death, etc. The OC Genie button IMO saved my butt quite a few times.

Anyone know if there's a new BIOS update available yet? Not even sure how to check. With Gigabyte I would just go to the website. It doesn't seem to work the same way with MSI. This is my first MSI board.

Might be a good idea to put everything back to Stock values before you Flash the Bios to the new one! AJ. ;) :thup:

P.S In most cases saves having problems also i forgot to mention, write down your Bios settings so you can reapply when finished! :attn:

Last edited:
Might be a good idea to put everything back to Stock values before you Flash the Bios to the new one! AJ. ;) :thup:

P.S In most cases saves having problems also i forgot to mention, write down your Bios settings so you can reapply when finished! :attn:

I guess even though I can save 5 OC'ing profiles they'll get wiped out during the update. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for all the help you guys! By the looks of it the A2 code was appearing when I had a CD in my optical drive. Something so simple!

So I had this same problem - the A2 error. Except my mb splash screen wouldn't even show up when I tried to boot. It was in fact my HDD (I boot off a SSD so I am able to boot from that fine). However, I can get my computer to boot just fine with the HDD plugged in ONLY if it is plugged into the SATA port on top of my case (Rosewill Blackhawk). I have tried every other configuration of data and power SATA cables on both the mb and the drive itself - a configuration that works on my SSD will still bring up the A2 error if I plug those same cables into my HDD. Do you guys have ideas? A little unsightly to have my HDD always plugged in on top of my case instead of out of sight inside. Thanks in advance.

My rig for reference:
MSI Z87-GD65 MB
Western Digital 1TB Blue HDD
Samsung 120 GB SSD
EVGA GTX 660 GPU Superclocked
Intel i7 4770k
2x 4.0 GB Gskill Ripjaws X Series 1600 DDR3 RAM
Rosewill 80 plus gold 550 W PS

Back