• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE MSI Z87 Xpower Motherboard Review (with LN2 results)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

There comes a time in every overclockers life when you just want to go out and get the most expensive darn thing you can…just because… even though advice from the forums is to shy away from such a move. Today makes me count my blessings that a couple years ago Overclockers.com gave me the opportunity to write reviews for the Front Page. Fast forward those couple of years to today and I have in my possession the most expensive darn motherboard on the Z87 platform at this time, the MSI Z87 XPower. The features list is long and its power phases are more robust than anything I have seen. This should be a good one people. Let’s dive in and take a look!

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a monster of a motherboard. Nice review as always.

Interesting. I used 1.19 beta bios out of the gate.

I also only use 1 set of memory and had no issues with it (@ 2400MHz XMP profile). If you look at previous reviews, I believe the times are all within the margin of error too. Look at the 4.9GHZ results from this, the MPower MAX, and Biostar review. ;)

It also seems his claims of inefficiency are not reflected in his own testing... look at the SPi 32M for example... the bandwidth numbers as well. All are right there in the pack!

My knowledge is limited, so I can't understand 100% of very detailed reviews. I was just linking the review for experts like you :)

I appreciate that. I agree with some of his assertions, but some are just impossible for the way we at OCF are setup to review.

Anyhoo, just expressing what I saw with my sample/bios was not what he saw (in my one dataset, lol!). Leeg is a good dude and well respected overclocker and reviewer.

EDIT: Yeah, not sure what is up with that. It compares to the Biostar... but perhaps that is inefficient too? No clue what he is ranting about there really.

Last edited:
lo mate,

nice review and OC dude.

Question: could you plz test the board at higher ram speeds to either confirm or contradict my efficiency woes ? My PCB is a 1.0, I had major issues with any bios before 1.19 to get any of my Corsair kits running on XMP. Once above 2600Mhz it all started to act weird (high latencies at ram and Level 3 )... New A11 bios is a great improvement ! A good board with big potential, but it needs some more tuning :thup:

FYI: the rant is not against the board as it's evolving nicely, it's against collegues of ours that hardly test anything, yet give awards away for free. How can you claim it's a great OCing board if you haven't tried it over 5000Mhz lol. Yes the features are there, however does that make it a great board :)

Keep it up overclockers.com, great stuff here !

Damn.. I missed that post Leeg. No clue how I am not subscribed to this thread!

Anyway, I have a couple of things on my plate at the moment, but I can put the board back on and test 2666 MHz, no problem. I ran it there 4.9GHz/2666 for some quick and dirty benchmarking so I know its possible. I never checked its efficiencies(or lack there of) against any other board. That said, in a couple of weeks another motherboard review will be up, ASUS Z87 WS, and with that I can at least compare the 2400MHz XMP clocks at 4.9Ghz against the couple of boards I have had my hands on.

Thanks for the kind words, and keep fighting the good fight. :)

Agree 100% Leeghoofd. Nothing against the reviews here as I think this is one of the better review sites, but IMO ALL boards (not just OC boards) should be tested for max mem oc, bclk oc, and max overall oc (cpu mhz, uncore, mem combined). These results will vary by board and how well the BIOS is refined. Especially memory clocking. :)

nice review and OC dude.

Question: could you plz test the board at higher ram speeds to either confirm or contradict my efficiency woes ? My PCB is a 1.0, I had major issues with any bios before 1.19 to get any of my Corsair kits running on XMP. Once above 2600Mhz it all started to act weird (high latencies at ram and Level 3 )... New A11 bios is a great improvement ! A good board with big potential, but it needs some more tuning :thup:

FYI: the rant is not against the board as it's evolving nicely, it's against collegues of ours that hardly test anything, yet give awards away for free. How can you claim it's a great OCing board if you haven't tried it over 5000Mhz lol. Yes the features are there, however does that make it a great board :)

Keep it up overclockers.com, great stuff here !

Back