• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multi monitor Gamer's, Landscape vs Portrait and other nonsense

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogbur22

Hello again :D

I already have 3 27' inch Asus VN279QL screens on my stand (links below) and wow I paid nowhere near that much for mine they were like 268 a piece I believe. Anyway those of you running 3 screens who is on or prefers Portrait to Landscape or vise versa ? Also, are there any special hardships or issues in Portrait ? Games that won't work like this ? I have had mine in Landscape for a long time now, well a good year lets say. Tonight I got wild and decided to switch them to Portrait. My Bezels are quite thin so I wasn't to worried. My only concern was my on/off switches and settings but that worked itself out as I made sure to set them all the same way.

So far after getting it set up I started playing Walking Dead Season 2 (finished it btw, good game) and it's running well all settings cranked up at a lower resolution of course. I wasn't thinking about that when I did it either. I am 3240 x 1920 after running my Nvidia surround setup and adjusting bezels etc.

The big news here is I seem to prefer it so far :thup: Now aside from my questions above I got another thought I didn't see coming. This stand I have says it will handle 3 (27) or (28) inch screens side by side. I think I can put 4 27 inch screens on this stand in Portrait mode, I have 8 inches of stand sticking out on both sides of my setup right now. Well heck that is 16 inches if I shift them over to add another. Now these screens are 5 lbs. or less each without there original stand of course. So even if Im 10 lbs. off overall Im still fine I believe. This stand is very beefy, the center poll and base must weigh 30 lbs without the arc wing. I am going to shoot the manufacturer an email but I wanted to see what you folks thought as well. Lastly Im pretty sure I would have no issues using 4 in portrait with the surround setup either as I have seen 5 or more screens in my travels already. Just throwing it out there :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236362

http://shop.easymountlcd.com/Deluxe...-Free-Standing-up-to-28-002-0020-002-0020.htm

For typical work 4 would be fine, but for gaming it stinks to have a bezel directly in the middle, especially in FPS. I have done it before and didn't like it much. Portrait mode 3 screen is your best bet for games, IMO.

For typical work 4 would be fine, but for gaming it stinks to have a bezel directly in the middle, especially in FPS. I have done it before and didn't like it much. Portrait mode 3 screen is your best bet for games, IMO.

Ohh, crap good thinking, and that's why I put my thoughts down for others to view LOL, Which means I would have to go 5 and get a new stand. Which is not terrible but I definitely need a new desk so I gotta do this over time of a few months.

I need to start looking for desks before I do anything else now. Buying a desk is a really a no fun task. The best thing would be to find someone looking to part with one. That's a dice roll, right place right time thing :/

If you can put together LEGOS, I suggest you look into modular framing, like 80/20 or Parco. There are many types of manufacturers, but you could create your own desk for a similar price as buying a new one. HERE is an example one of our members did to show monitor mounts. Most of the companies already have parts lists and blueprints for basic desk assemblies and they sell surfaces for the tabletop. The options are mind boggling.

Back