• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiple GPU's with X99 Deluxe [PROBLEM]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattbowden3c

Hi All. I'm an animator with a little better than general knowledge of computers. I'm having an issue that I would LOVE some help with. I spent 8 hours on the phone with my PC builder and another 2 with ASUS reps....I for the life of me can't get multiple GPU's working on my x99 Deluxe Motherboard. Any techies out there have any ideas?

Some info about my computers.

I have two computers....identical. Here are the stats.
- x99 Deluxe Mboards
- 64GB Ram
- i7 5960x
- (x1) 980ti Superclocked
- 1300watt EVGA Supernova PS

I purchased Octane Renderer on Tuesday and ordered 3 more GPU's. I got three of the EVGA 980ti Hybrids. I planned on putting 1 in my main working computer and maxing out the second with the two additional. Luckily space isn't an issue because they are both built in the Corsair Obsidian 900d cases. Also, Octane does not recognize SLI. This computer is my slave computer and not actually worked off of.

Here's the kicker...when I put in additional GPU's my computer won't boot. All of the cards work. I've switched them out all individually in the #1 slot. I tried using 1 card in different slots individually and it boots fine. But anytime I add a second/third card.....Nada.

The post numbers on the Mboard go through the motion like they are working through startup and then when it gets to 95 it starts all over again and just loops.

Anyway I would GREATLY appreciate any help. Dinner is on me to the first person that can help me get this up and running.

Which slots are the GPUs installed in?

Slots 1,2 & 4. But I also just tried putting 1 additional in....so I had two in slots 1 and 2. Any of the three GPU's work in the first slot. Its when you add others with that that nothing happens on boot.

Is the SLI switch in the bottom right of the board in the proper position?

Is the SLI switch in the bottom right of the board in the proper position?

I can't run them in SLI. The rendering software doesn't work with SLI. I just need the Cards to be in the system and accessible independently. My software essentially sees the slave computer on the network and allows my current computer to harness the power of the gpus in other computers for rendering animations.

Perhaps you need to flip the switch to use multiple GPUs period. It is free and would take less time to test than writing that post. :)

What switch is this????????

- - - Updated - - -

I dont understand. So I have to connect the cards with an SLI bridge but uncheck an SLI setting on boot up?

asus-sli.png

As to the bridge...unknown. Try without and if no joy...try with.
Even if everything is manually set for SLI, to be functional it would need to be enabled in the nVidia CP....just don't enable :)

Let's start over...

We thought you are trying to sli. You are not. You don't need to install a bridge. What luta was trying to say is you need to enable sli in the control panel. It is off by default I believe.

I don't have the board, so I don't know where the switch atm is. I'd check the manual and see what he is talking about.

We thought you are trying to sli. You are not. You don't need to install a bridge. What luta was trying to say is you need to enable sli in the control panel. It is off by default I believe.

I don't have the board, so I don't know where the switch atm is. I'd check the manual and see what he is talking about.

Nope...knew he didn't want SLI.
That's why I said try without bridge first and if it didn't work, try with ;)
Yes...it should be off by default...just don't enable in cp.
I posted a screenshot of the manual page regarding the switch above.
Having the bridge in place wouldn't/shouldn't have an impact...here's a snippet from Octane's FAQ:

No, but it can use multiple video cards for rendering (see above). It is also recommended to disable the SLI option in your NVIDIA control panel to maximize Octane’s rendering performance.

Reading a bit in the manual....with a 40 lane cpu, 2 way SLI would be slots 1 and 3.
3 Way would be 1(16x),3(16x) and 5(8x) or 1(8x),2(8x) and 4(8x)

asus-sli.png

Last edited:
Hi all....so its two years later and I'm trying to move those three gpus into my second system. It's identical to the first. I had eventually been able to get the three cards working but for the life of my can remember how. So now Im having the same problem. with one card in it boots fine. When I put a second or a third card in I just get that looping sequence of q codes. I dont even make it into the bios. Any ideas?

Ive made sure the cards are in the right pcie slots. All of the cables have been checked. Bios is identical to the system that it was working in. I'm out of ideas....

uninstall the video driver using ddu,
shut down, install all the cards, boot.
install driver, reboot.
disable sli in nvidia control panel.
reboot.
I had to do this with my x99a board with multi cards for rendering under windows.

I tried all of those things and I still couldn't boot. As a last resort I hit the clear CMOS button and can you believe that it actually worked? It's up and running! Thanks.

Back