• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiple issues on laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

radium

Allright I've been avoiding this forever, it's time to fix this stupid laptop.

The symptoms:

- Battery will not be charged to more than 4%

- Upon shutting down, it will shut down briefly, then enter some strange standby mode where the power light stays lit. This will completely discharge the battery if I pull it from the wall jack, and will continue perpetually until I power it on again.

-After pulling the laptop out of my bag, (battery is dead at this point from issue 2), and plugging it in to a wall jack, the fans will roar and the power light will go on and it will resume it's strange mode.

Computer History:
I've sent it back to gateway 3 times now. Twice because of a physical burning of the motherboard and the AC power source contact, and once because their network drivers are absolutely abysmal and it completely messed up my OS.

Other than that, the computer operates blazing fast, it has 2 gigs of RAM, a 7800 GT. It's just a slow desktop at this point because it's like holding an olympic torch as you switch it from outlet to outlet before the 4% battery life dies.

Any suggestions I can try? I'm 80% sure it's the motherboard, and I really don't want to send it back at this point (warranty is expired).

I'm at work right now so I can't check, but it's an MX8250 or so, all the models look the same :/

Back