• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Music Visualisations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fastidious

I have a daughter leaving for Australia on Saturday and have looked all over for a really good DJ type visualiser for a monitor-wall set-up.

Rather than spending £150 on DJ-specific software, I wondered whether you chaps knew of anything that would do the same thing for little or no money?

It has to be 'stand alone' and allow internal mapping of the stereo-mix windows feature.

I'd really appreciate any input.

3 x 24 inch displays.

For people hitting this thread using a search and wanting to do video visualizations using their computers: I use a regular computer monitor but I also connected my Plasma TV to my computer. When properly set up, Winamp plays visualizations on My TV in full screen resolution *without* being affected by anything I do on my regular computer screen.

Here is how I did that:

To setup the Visualization to show up on your second monitor in full screen mode when you double click on the Visualization window:
Right Click on Winamp border > Options > Preferences... > Visualization > MilkDrop > Configure button > Common Settings TAB > Next to FULLSCREEN settings, select the other Display Adapter and its Display Mode resolution > OK

Options > Preferences... > (Under General Preferences) Global Hotkeys > Click on the second 'Enabled' from top > next to Action, click on the drop down menu and select Visualization: Toggle on/off > Next to Hotkey press on the keyboard key you do don't use very often such as CTRL + ` > Add > Close

CTRL + ` will make the Visualization turn on/off now. [Do not set it to any regular key like the Space Bar because that would make it turn on/off all the time.]

Start MilkDrop Visualization:
Right Click on Winamp border > Visualization > Start/Stop plug-in or press CTRL+SHIFT+K

Click on MilkDrop2 in the task bar then use Space Bar or H to go to the next Visualization preset. Use Backspace to go to the previous preset.
Visualization presets change every 10 seconds. Press R to switch between Random and Sequential presets.

Press S to Save preset (or quickly display its name.)

Press L to load a specific preset. Press 'Scroll Lock' key on your keyboard to lock in the current preset so it doesn't change. Press F1 for more options.

Press F2 to display song name, P for playlist and U to toggle shuffle.

and here are my other Winamp notes:
Latest version is 5.63: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=265777

Winamp 5.63

Setup the full version, not Lite:

UNCHECK: Agent ; then under Multimedia Engine, expand Video Playback and only CHECK: Flash Video flv.; then under Winamp Library, UNCHECK: Auto-Tagger and Online Media and Winamp Orgler ; UNCHECK: Winamp Detector Plug-in

Also UNCHECK: Portable Media Player Support or you will get nags every time you insert a removable usb drive or connect an Android phone.

Next > Next > UNCHECK: Winamp Toolbar and everything else on that page > Install.

To install support for additional file types, custom install the included Winamp_Essentials_6_7_8_9_10_11_12.exe.
CHECK: Media File Support, UI Enhancements, Playlist Enhancements, and System Enhancements.
UNCHECK everything else.

When starting Winamp for the first time, UNCHECK: Video Files under File Associations.
Under Audio Associations, UNCHEK: mp4, wma, wmv.

Next > Next > UNCHECK: Yes, allow anonymous usage statistics (recommended).

Finish.

Right click on Winamp border > Options > Double Size (if it's there)
Right click on Song Name and UNCHECK: Autoscroll songname

Right Click on Winamp border > Options > Preferences... > General Preferences > Not Connected to the internet
UNCHECK: Check for new versions of Winamp at startup

> General Preferences > (under File Types) Shell Options > DESELECT the two options for Add to Winamp's Bookmark list

Playlist > Font size 22

See Media Library > Podcast Directory and History

Options > Skins > Winamp > Winamp Modern
then
Options > Color Themes > Good Ol' Winamp
(Color Themes are also available in the lower right corner of Winamp Modern skin.)

Start MilkDrop Visualization:
Right Click on Winamp border > Visualization > Start/Stop plug-in or press CTRL+SHIFT+K

Click on MilkDrop2 in the task bar then use Space Bar or H to go to the next Visualization preset. Use Backspace to go to the previous preset.
Visualization presets change every 10 seconds. Press R to switch between Random and Sequential presets.

Press S to Save preset (or quickly display its name.)

Press L to load a specific preset. Press 'Scroll Lock' key on your keyboard to lock in the current preset so it doesn't change. Press F1 for more options.

Press F2 to display song name, P for playlist and U to toggle shuffle.

To setup the Visualization to show up on your second monitor in full screen mode when you double click on the Visualization window:
Right Click on Winamp border > Options > Preferences... > Visualization > MilkDrop > Configure button > Common Settings TAB > Next to FULLSCREEN settings, select the other Display Adapter and its Display Mode resolution > OK

Options > Preferences... > (Under General Preferences) Global Hotkeys > Click on the second 'Enabled' from top > next to Action, click on the drop down menu and select Visualization: Toggle on/off > Next to Hotkey press on the keyboard key you do don't use very often such as CTRL + ` > Add > Close

CTRL + ` will make the Visualization turn on/off now. [Do not set it to any regular key like the Space Bar because that would make it turn on/off all the time.]

Change mp3, wav, flac icons and Remove Add to Winamp's Bookmark list

To prevent Winamp from changing your custom set mp3, wav and flac icons, go to Windows Registry locations
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.MP3\DefaultIcon
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.wav\DefaultIcon
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.FLAC\DefaultIcon

Right click on DefaultIcon > Permissions... > Add... > Everyone > OK > Advanced... > Everyone > Edit... >

Set Value CHECK: Deny > OK > OK > OK

If you forgot to UNCHECK Portable Media Player Support > USB Devices,
then rename pmp_usb.dll and Winamp will no longer be displaying nags every time USB drive is connected.

If you ever get a visualization error message "Compiled shader uses too many arithmetic instruction slots",
Press M when this happens to bring up the preset edit menu then select "update preset's pixel shader version" > Y > Leave menu using Esc > S to save and Y to confirm. If that doesn't help, press F4 to display the name of the preset and remove it from folder C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\Milkdrop2\presets

Keyboard Shortcuts:
B Next Track
Z Previous Track
C Pause/Unpause
X Play/Restart/Unpause
V Stop
Shift+V Stop with Fadeout
Ctrl+V Stop after current track

Left Arrow Rewind 5 seconds
Right Arrow Fast-forward 5 seconds
Up Arrow Turn Volume Up
Down Arrow Turn Volume Down

Visualization FUNCTION KEYS
F1: show help screen
F2: show song title
F3: show song length
F4: show preset name
F5: show fps (frames per second)
F6: show rating of current preset
F7: re-read custom message file (milk_msg.ini) from disk
F8: jump to new directory (for presets)
F9: toggle stereo 3D on/off

Winamp has many more keyboard shortcuts.

Last edited:
Back