• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Musings on GPU's, motherboards and evolution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flixotide

Since its saturday night, I reckoned I'd throw up a subject for a few musings, thoughts and imagination. Please keep the thread that way!

I remeber back in the 90's, I think it was 1994, when I took a giant leap in faith. I switched out my trusty trident 33 mhz ISA vid-card for a gutsty 50 mhz vesa local bus tseng labs to add a little spike during those weekend doom 2 lan party's. (at least I think it was doom 2, although its quite blurry these days). Things got really nasty when I showed up with a shiny Sound Blaster card, rather than the cheaper adlib based cads.

Since then I've been jumping countless PC builds, each time musing how the industry has snared my wallet and my mind. New CPU sockets, new mobo architecture, GPU and ASP as well as ram sockets etc. etc.

From time to I've spent a few dollars trying to build "mobo only" machines. I remember the nforce chips, that offered quite a new performance. And today we get quite a few mobile and onboard graphics solutions offering fair performance.

But, ever since I went for that beefy 50 mhz VLB card, and later put a kidney up for auctioning for that expensive sound blaster, I've been thinking.. why aren't mobo's built to hold a changeable GPU socket and ASP as well. I can't imagine how many PCB's I'ved handed in for recycling, the time and components gone in to manufacturing, design etc. that could've been spared.

I've never been aware of such a concept ever being built. A mobo where you could change CPU, GPU, ASP and NB/SB alike. I admit I lost track on HW development in the early 00's and only recently came along those thoughts again, when I saw a few exciting modular PC concepts showing up in magazines and exhibition.

Just to return to the top.. lets keep this one a dream, musings, imagination, and not an argument on how capitalism and scientific evolution goes hand in hand. Wouldn't it be nice, if the future was just popping your GPU out of a socket, and changing it? or the ASP or other components. I think so.

Dreaming on...

I never really have gotten into the scheme of building PCs in my childhood. Came close but never as full adept as I am now.

I am on board with you with being able to completely swap out parts like the CPU sockets and chipsets even able to throw custom controllers on the MOBO. I think something like that should be considered now if the "pc" market is really shrinking. That would give a true building experience and the most custom computers enthusiasts can dream up.

I guess if you and a couple of friends with education, money, and the equipment you could always make your own motherboard ;).

is'nt this kind of the idea behind rasberry pi?

Kinda. It's got lots of potential and GPIO headers and stuff but you can't swap out the cpu and all that jazz.

BTW, if anyone has a good use for the rasberry pi, lemme know. Mine's still collecting dust. :p

Back