• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MVE/2700k- how to get >5.5GHz under ss?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Happy Saturday folks!

Running a maximus v extreme with a 2700k and can get to 5500 (55x100) just by raising core voltage to ~1.58v but so far am unable to get 1 drop more. Adding bclk up to ~105 gets me to the windows splash but the system locks up immediately following the kbd/mouse power cycle. A cpu multi of 56x does the same thing as does raising bclk to 101. Have tried adding more core voltage (tried up to 1.75v) but nothing. Tried raising vccio to 1.15, nada.

When I ran with a multi of something like 32x I was able to get 107bclk but no further. If I set the cpu multi to anything over ~40x when bclk is over 102, the system hangs just after the windows splash kbd/mouse power cycle again.

Most settings are pretty much left alone...everything useless for me is disabled. All the eist and c-state stuff are enabled. Set ram timings manually, tridentx 2666 at stock atm (11-13-13-35-2).

It's solid as a rock at 5500...passes as many runs of linx and p95 as I let them run. Temp never gets higher than 6C. Figure there should be more MHz available here.

Ideas?

TIA as always!!

Last edited:
Sandy Bridge chips usually have a hard wall at a given speed regardless of what you do. Even colder temps rarely helped at all. It sounds like you just have a 5.5GHz chip.

I had a 5.1GHz 2600K that could do that on air. Colder temps down to -110C and more voltage didn't change a thing.

Sandy Bridge is the epitome of luck based overclocking, you either have a beast chip or you don't.

Thanks Matt!

Yeah...another ocf'er mentioned the hard wall...I was just hoping it was still somewhere off in the distance waiting for me to get there hehe

Hmmm....I'll bench it out today and move on to a different cpu.

Update: Think I'll see what can be done with 2x580's under water with this cpu.

Last edited:
On SB you are usually using sub 0 temps only to protect cpu from degradation ( and they degrade really quick ). Most 5.5GHz results can be easily achieved on water cooling. In best cases ss will give you 100-200MHz more.
Most my SB had wall @5.2GHz but after 3 degraded CPUs and one dead I had enough and I just sold all platform.

Thanks Woomack. I'll just continue on through the chips, extract/farm the boints I can then move on and sell all but the one fastest 1155.

Back