• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 1st (apparently successful) overclocking experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neutrin

Hello to all!

I have searched a lot for informations about what my machine might support as max overclocking but could not find anyone with a similar computer that has posted his experience, so here's mine:

Core 2 Duo E8200 (stock 2.66GHz=8x333MHz)
Cooler Spire TherMax Eclipse II - SP984B1-V2 (two fans mounted)
Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard
2X2Gb DDR3 Corsair TW3X4G1333C9DHX (rated PC3-10600, 1333MHz)
Leadtek Winfast PX 8800 GTS 512 Mb RAM

I managed to overclock this system to the following. I have only run Prime95 for about 90 minutes without any errors, maybe I'll leave it more.

CPU @ 4 GHz, I found it to be stable only @ 1.45v
FSB = 500 MHz, voltage increased by +0.1v
RAM @ 1500 MHz (1:3 FSB:RAM ratio), voltage increased by +0.1v, auto timings: 10-11-11-28

With these settings under Prime95 CPU torture test (small data sets) max temperature reached was 71 C on both cores. No other tests (Prime95 blend, Orthos) raised temperatures over 69 C. I spent some WoW time last night while monitoring temperatures, max temp on core 1 was 63 C, max on core 2 was 53 C. I will see how this goes in today's raid.

I don't know if I need the overvoltage for the FSB and the RAM, I spent a lot of time finding the optimal CPU voltage and I wanted to give it a lengthy test so I set these overvoltages for no rational reason ("just in case"). If any of you have any advice regarding this, I am very interested.

I also tried other ratio settings for FSB:RAM (5:6) but found that the 1:3 ratio gave best overall results in 3DMark Vantage basic and Everest benchmark tests. I didn't manage to get the system to POST with 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio, the BIOS just automatically reverted the settings to fail-safe ones and restarted.

Do you think the temperatures in Prim95 torture test are too high?
Has anyone else experienced any problems after OCing this CPU @ 4 GHz?
Do you think there is room to squeeze a bit more performance from this setup?

Any other comments are highly desired and welcome :)

With a Tj Max of 105C for the E8200, keep the Distance to Tj Max at no less than 20-25C (80 - 85C core temp's). So in your case w/ core temp's reaching a max. of 71C, you still have room for more Vcore if you're comfortable w/ exceeding Intels documented "absolute maximum" rating of 1.45V Vcc / Vcore for the E8000 series chips. Since you're already at a Vcc of 1.45V, I would run LinX in addition to Prime and / or Orthos, which will give you a better indication of stability and actual 100% loaded cores before bumping the Vcc any higher.

Back