• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 3700+ and X2 3800+ OC process

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MameXP

So here is a little update.

I only overclock the CPUs for now as i dont have a NF4 Ultra board at the moment.

This is done with Asus A8R MX/S, ATI Xpress 200 chipset.

3700+ Sandy:

245*11 = 2.7ghz
LDT multiplier x4
Memory is at 193mhz

Load temp = 50c
Vcore = 1.4v

This is still on stock cooling with AS5 in a crappy mATX case.

My watercooling setup is still in process of building.

I have few questions tho:

Does CPU breaking-in process still work with A64? I know it works very darn well with Barton/Tbred core.

About HT link, i notice lots of NF4 boards owners do not go well over 1ghz. But i tested my board and it can go 250x5 = 1.25ghz. So why cant the NF4 board go this high?

What is the max vcore i can run b4 getting into danger zone? Lots ppl say 1.55v:shrug: . What is the max temp you would allow?

Right now i'm limited by PCI bus, this freaking board doesnt lock PCI bus just like KT800. NForce RULES in this matter. I'm still debating which board to get, thinking of trying DFI but the HT link bus still scares me. I want over 1ghz lol..

More to come with the Toledo X2 3800+

Nice! On the voltage front I was told recently by someone who has been seriously overclocking for the last 10 years that the only thing to worry about when pushing vcore is your cooling. If your cooling can dissipate the heat then "just push it until it starts acting silly". According to him the mobo will most likely reach the limit before your CPU will or your RAM will hold you back. But with your current setup I wouldn't go any further until you get your water cooling going.:burn:

Burn-in will work with anything made of silicon....

1.55-1.6 is about the max I would use on air.

jonspd said:
Burn-in will work with anything made of silicon....

1.55-1.6 is about the max I would use on air.

Rogers, even on phase change cooling i still would not push the voltage more than 25%. Thats just me

Any inputs about HT link bus?

On the HT bus chances are your gonna play hard to get above 1k

ATM My ht bus is only around 850.

Y are you worrying about ht bus it means very very little to your system. Max out your cpu and ram and you will have a much faster system

Word I noticed very little between 850 ht speed and I think it was like 600 or something.

I'm not really worrying. I know HT link bus doesnt mean jack, but i just love to use it in my defend.

Friend: So how is your A64 doing?
Me: Yeah well, i got it to 2.7ghz
Friend: hahhaha mine is at 2.9ghz, yours sucks
Me: Yeah can yours do 1.25ghz HT BUS ? huh? can it? hahahhaha

Lame on me

How are you overclocking this board?

I have the same board and there are no settings in bios to change multipliers, voltage, or bus speeds. What bios version do you have?

Y are you worrying about ht bus it means very very little to your system. Max out your cpu and ram and you will have a much faster system

I'm waking up an old thread but HT link speed effects GPU bandwidth and memory bandwidth. When running testing in Everest Ultimate and 3dmark06 increase in HT link speed effect FPS and memory bandwidth. It does have a lot to do with how fast the pc will run. It's just so hard to keep it stable above 1000-1200Mhz On these old amd 64s. Just my .02!!! I love talking about these old amd 64 cpu's so if anyones interested this stuff interests me a lot.

later

??? I've never seen HT Link speed effect system memory by itself in any way and I'm 100% sure the clock speed doesn't, except as it effects RAM speed.

I'm sure it has an impact on video performance, especially with newer cards or older, high-powered cards, which would include any video/system RAM interchanges ...

A8R-MX/SI

I'm aware I dug this one up but it's a very interesting topic!

Hi, I just built this awesome A8R-MX/SI system for a lan party coming up for my friends. It's running and AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz at only 2.4Ghz and a 1090Mhz HT Bus and ram at like DDR-346 or something. The ram I have installed is from all different manufacturers and 1 of the 3 ddr-400 stick is a ddr-333 stick. So everythings limited by that 1 333 stick.

I was wondering if we could find way to Volt MOD this board? I used to run 250Mhz on this board 100% stale with 2gb of ddr-400 of the same brand and an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Single core chip. So I guess what's holding back the X2 4200+ is my ram I'm guessing?

THANKS

Back