• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my 8120 is healthy or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Navid

Hi

I am really got confused these days. I've saw sth very very incredible!

I had an Asrock 870 iCafe r2.0 with Fx-8120 and G.Skill Ripjaws (1600-9-9-9-24) with MSI 5870 Lightning.
because of so many reasons I've decided to change my MB. one of them was that my memories (4*2GB) were working on single channel and for no reason I couldnt make them work on dual channel mode(even with 2 modules) and also the amount of my memories were wrong as i will say below.. after a week i baught a gigabyte 970A-UD3 with happiness!

So i assembeled my new MB and installed a new windows....

but my memories still have the same problem. my 24/7 test result is listed here:
1. if 1 module memory is being installed, everything is ok. all of memories tested with wprime, prime95..... on all slots.

2.if 2 module is being installed, my computer properties shows this:
Installed memory: 3 GB (1.98 Usable) note that my graphic card shared 758MB). but cpu-z and all other softwares says that i have 4GB memory and there is nothing wrong with them!!!

3. if i install all modules (4*2GB) it says you have 6GB memory!

on both motherboards the results were the same and i also tested with axtrom memories (1333 MHz) but no matter. also ther is no overclocking in all this story! (except that the cpu was working on 4300MHz for 3 month on 870 iCafe MB which is not important.)

in my oppinion the only thing that is overlapped in tests is MY FX-8120 CPU. i cant believe that a cpu may have this problem!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    39.6 KB · Views: 126
when i teset my memories one by one they are okay and except this, when i do the test with other memories of other brand and lower bus i have the same problem. this made me confused

Please download and install the free program, "CPU-z". Run it and post back with a pics of these two CPU-z tabs: "Memory" and "SPD". For the SPD tab, please post a pic for each slot in which you have a memory module installed.

Another question, are all the memory modules you are installing the same make, model and speed? Did you buy this memory as a dual channel kit or did the modules come from different places at different times. True dual channel memory is sold in matched pair kits.

I have bought the memories as dual channel kits.
here are the stuff you ordered, sir:
drhff

ysfex

er4nb

fq2wf

swxd6

Navid,

What bios version is your motherboard currently using? In order to fully support the FX-8120 you need to have bios version P1.4 or later installed. If your board has an earlier version than P1.4 it may not be playing well with the CPU's integrated memory controller. If you will run CPU-z again and look in the Motherboard tab it will display the bios version.

to Trents:
my current bios is F7 and MB revision is 1.0. i'm going to upadte it to F8a (Beta bios).

To oldbrave:
couldnt find it, i will check again after updating bios to f8a(beta bios).

i have installed two modules on first and second slot, so they are not dual channel. now i have 4GB memory and every thing is ok. but ONLY on this way i have 4 GB. and if they install on 3rd and 4th slots it wont turn on.

thanks brothers

to Trents:
my current bios is F7 and MB revision is 1.0. i'm going to upadte it to F8a (Beta bios).

To oldbrave:
couldnt find it, i will check again after updating bios to f8a(beta bios).

i have installed two modules on first and second slot, so they are not dual channel. now i have 4GB memory and every thing is ok. but ONLY on this way i have 4 GB. and if they install on 3rd and 4th slots it wont turn on.

thanks brothers

That makes me wonder if there is a hardware problem with the motherboard. Did you buy it new?

Has anyone suggested upping the NB_CPU voltage a bit? The board may be setting it too low or he may have a weak IMC. If you can try setting the NB_CPU LLC to high!

Sorry i didnt check the topic. I have math exam and i couldnt check forum. My exam starts in an hour, then i will go home and do whatever you suggested.

Has anyone suggested upping the NB_CPU voltage a
? The board may be setting it too low or he may have a weak IMC. If you can try setting the NB_CPU LLC to high!

It is obvious that bulldozer series have a real weak imc, but it is hard to believe that it cant handle memories on stock setting. I set all voltages and frequencies on manual and now i have 4gb memory but only on single channel. If i install them as dual channel mode it reports 2gb.
That makes me wonder if there is a hardware problem with the motherboard. Did you buy it new?
Yeah, i did. But someone else told me that HE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THIS MAINBOARD AND HE PROGRAMMED THE BIOS MANUALY, THEN IT FIXED!
But i wont do it until i test evevrything. It will make my mb out of warranty.
I would also give the ram a bit of a voltage bump.
I did, 1.6 and 1.7v.

Navid, did you try Johan45's suggestion of giving the CPU/NB some extra voltage? The CPU/NB is, or is part of, the IMC. All modern processors have an internal or integrated memory controller. The memory controller is not a part of the motherboard any longer.

One other post I remember we had to loosen the timings a bit to get things working right.
Also one more thing. You have 2 sets of 2x2Gig dual channel? You might have your sets mixed. Is there any way to tell them apart?

Back