• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first build thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you want a more affordable GPU get a discounted GTX460 for about 120 something after rebate

Remember, just because the card is a 5 series doesn't automatically make it faster than a 4 series.

560Ti>460
460>550

It's all fun and confusing.

bump to the 460 over 550... especially at that price point... maybe even grab 460's x2 @ that price and make yourself a nice little SLI rig for the price of a costly 560...

Or WAIT for a few months and the new nvidia midrange card release should offer another attractive option or at the very least cause some good price drops in the 550 which is basicaly a 460 with all power of the GPU unlocked for about a 20-30% boost in some cases...

That specific 560Ti is one of the highest OCed cards. It performs about the same as a stock 6970. That's crazy price/performance.

Tokae, Hitachi is regarded as making some of the most reliable HDDs out there. Much more commonly used in large RAID setups where you don't want drives to die at the same time.

IMO, that build doesn't skimp on the GPU or the CPU. I'd try to stick with the 2500K and the 560Ti, you won't have to upgrade for a while and itll play any modern game at max 1080P.

That specific 560Ti is one of the highest OCed cards. It performs about the same as a stock 6970. That's crazy price/performance.

Tokae, Hitachi is regarded as making some of the most reliable HDDs out there. Much more commonly used in large RAID setups where you don't want drives to die at the same time.

IMO, that build doesn't skimp on the GPU or the CPU. I'd try to stick with the 2500K and the 560Ti, you won't have to upgrade for a while and itll play any modern game at max 1080P.

*not metro 2033
;)
Otherwise yes.

I truly appreciate the feedback. I will most likely go with the 560 Ti and stop being such a total tight wad. If there are any other opinions I am all ears, keeping in mind my budget.

It looks like the Gigabyte P67A-UD3 was discontinued on newegg, should I look for it somewhere else or would the Z68A-D3H be a good alternative?

I saw you had the combo package going, but didn't look into it like I should have.

This is what I have came up with (revised!!)

Attachments

• Custom build.jpg
    Custom build.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
That TX, get the 650 or 750V2 as they are made by Seasonic now and theoretically a smidge better. Having said that my original version TX750 has been kicking for a long time now.

4GB is ok... but the child in me becomes agitated and wants to tell you to get 8.

I haven't been crazy about the MSi boards for this gen. G skill actually says they have had trouble achieving very high RAM frequencies on them (won't affect you). I also don't like MSi's bios setup as much as ASUS or Gigabyte. If nothing else, ASUS bios are the most friendly and full featured IMO.

Nothing wrong with it, I just feel that ASUS and Gigabyte make a slightly better board in that price range. Others will disagree, ask me to cite sources, etc. But that's my opinion.

With the combo, he's getting the motherboard for $105. Not much for Gigabyte other then a D3 at that range, and ASUS only has a mATX board.

I haven't been crazy about the MSi boards for this gen. G skill actually says they have had trouble achieving very high RAM frequencies on them (won't affect you). I also don't like MSi's bios setup as much as ASUS or Gigabyte. If nothing else, ASUS bios are the most friendly and full featured IMO.

Nothing wrong with it, I just feel that ASUS and Gigabyte make a slightly better board in that price range. Others will disagree, ask me to cite sources, etc. But that's my opinion.

I would highly agree with you on this.

The closest thing I found in price to the MSI p67a-g43 was this Asus (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.660726). Also is there a big difference between the MSI p67a-g43 and the g45?

Here is the thing, I would really like to cut $100-$200 from what I have so far without shooting myself in the foot too bad. Any suggestions? or should I save up a little harder and go with what I have?
Revised list at bottom of page 1.

Last edited:
Back