• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first (gaming) pc build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickl90

Registered
Hey guys I'm going to build my first gaming PC and I would like some advice and comments on what I already have selected. I have been "studying" about the components of a pc and how they all work and hopefully, more or less, I have chosen pretty good ones and compatible ones so far. My budget is $1,300($1,500 in extreme case) or less.

Here's what I have so far:

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive -$99.99

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL -$93.98($46.99 each)-i am buying two of these-

Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - $199.99

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K -$204.99

CD ROM: ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS -$89.99

Case: either Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -$169.99 or COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition RC-932-KKN3-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Blue LED Fans-1x 230mm front fan, 1x 230mm top fan, 1x 230mm side fan, and 1x 140mm rear fan - $144.99

GPU: I am not sure but im considering the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit -$149.99 or the ASUS ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card -$189.99 I really need help choosing the right GPU because i might want to crossfire so i might buy two average or so GPUs (for xfire) yet I could buy a good one and then later on crossfire that one...

Power supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply -$109.99

I am buying all of this from newegg. If you guys think I should change anything I have in here for something better/worst please don't hesitate to tell me.

All comments and advice are highly appreciated! thank you all!

ps, I am not interested in a sound card atm and about the OS I think windows7 Home Premium should be enough for me(the OS doesn't count towards my budget) oh and sorry for the names being so long but I just type it as it says on the website:eek: once again.. thank you all!

Last edited:
I also forgot to ask if the fans the case has and some individual components bring would be enough or will i also have to buy some fans?

There's going to be plenty of fans, no worries about that.

That build is based on the Sandy Bridge platform (2xxx CPU/Z68 chipset), but the new Ivy Bridge platform is out (37xx and below CPU/Z77 chipset).

Bluray burners are typically a waste. Get it if you KNOW you're going to burn some, but blank Bluray's are really expensive

Also, by going to a cheaper case and using some combo deals, you might be able to fit a better GPU and a SSD in there. I'm on mobile right now, but I can put something together when I get home.

Hey Knufire and thanks for your advice :).

Ok so yea I did realize that about the Bluray burner and instead I'm getting this DVD burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204 It saves me a couple of bucks and it's just enough for me because I really won't be burning too many Cds and definitely no bluray so thanks for making me realize this.

Ok so from what I can understand what you are telling me is that the two cases I selected are good but really not that necessary as there are cheaper ones good enough for what I'm putting together?

I appreciate your help and offering to put something together for me, that would really help me. thankss

I think I might get this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197 which would save me around $50.

My question is.. would this case be good if in the future I decided to Crossfire and will it last for a good couple of years or will I have to upgrade it around 1-2 years? I am hoping at least 3 years out of all my components and still being able to upgrade it as time goes by. Or... Should I get an ever cheaper case?

Lastly, which above average(not the best but not worst or middle... just below best) Graphic card would you guys recommend to me? As I mentioned before I would prefer a card that I could crossfire in the future.

Sorry that I'm asking so many questions but I want my first build to be good and lasting! Thanks for the help guys!!

That case should have plenty of room for crossfire, if you do go cheaper this is the cheapest case I would recommend getting.

As far as the GPU, I think you could get away with something along the lines of a 7850.

I'd go with something like this. As you can see, I like combo deals. :D. About $80 cheaper than if you bought everything individually. Managed to get a 7870, 120GB SSD, and an H100 in there as well. PSU and case are both fine for CFX as well.

Capture.JPG

1.JPG

Hahah yes I can tell you like combo deals. I am currently looking up the rig you made for me and I am liking it quite a lot.

How many years do you think i can survive with this rig(the one you made) without needing any necessary upgrade(unless something breaks of course or unless I want to because of looks etc..) and will it support today's games on at least regular settings? (Im positive it will run them on high easily but i just want to make sure) I'm talking diablo 3 and so.

Finally is this rig you made better than the one I was thinking of getting??(probably is .. your the pro am the noob :p)

Twiggz thanks for you advice I am still not getting rid of that option just yet so thanks

Here are some benchmarks for the card I recommended: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5691/...w-his-7870-iceq-turbo-powercolor-pcs-hd7870/3

Here are some more. Their card their reviewing here is clocked a good bit higher than the one I recommended, look at the stock 7870 numbers for a closer value to the HIS IceQ: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_7870_HAWK/1.html

3 years should be barely doable, my 4890 was the flagship single GPU card (like a modern 7970) released 2/9/09, and I can run most games at medium 1080P a bit higher than 30FPS. Crossfire will take you beyond three years for sure.

From what I can see this rig you put together for me is pretty good. I think I am going to buy all the exact things you recommended me.

Do you think adding one more dual of ram for a total of 16GB would be worth it or 8 is enough?

If all you're doing is gaming, 8GB should be enough. I've personally never seen more than 4GB of RAM usage on my machine.

However, if you're involved in large projects using Photoshop, video editing, 3D animation, or CAD software, you can easily get way up there in RAM usage. I've done small Photoshop and CAD projects, and 6GB has always been fine for me.

Aight 8GB it is :)

Thank you very much for all your help!

I will be using every single piece you recommended me. Hopefully I will be done building my computer within a 1 or 2 weeks.

Once again, thanks for all the advice and recommendations to get the best out of my money.

Don't forget to send in the MIRs when your parts arrive. They usually take forever to get back, but then you get a happy surprise of $60 6 months down the road. xD

Hahahah true, I will do that too. Hopefully they don't reject them or something and instead surprise me when some "random" money comes in the mail. :p

Anyways thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!

Hey sorry but I got one last question..

Should I buy a 200mm fan to mount it on the side of the case or with those included its enough?

Back