• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Water Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheMainFrame

First let me start of by saying hello to everyone. This is my first post on OCForums and im starting to really dig this forum.

Now down to business, I am semi-new to the fine arts of overclocking and i am completly new to the water cooling aspects of it. I am modding my gateway 310 preety much till thres nothing origanal left. Let me explain my system to help you help me

P4/2.6 478 533Mhz - *P4/3.2 640 775 on order*
Intel 815 board - *GigaByte-8I915P Duo on order*
Crappy black box - *Silver MGE Sidewinder w/ 400w PSU arrived today*
2 x 512mb Gateway DDR PC2700 *any DDR2 suggestion would be nice*
Geforce MX4000 PCI - *any PCI-E suggestion would be nice .. 6600GT?*

If i left anything out just let me know

So basicly i could use some opionions a few read but basicly im posting here cause id like you all to critique my idea for a water setup

DangerDen Hydor L35 w/ 1/2" fittings
DangerDen RBX for 775 w/ 1/2" fittings
HWLabs Black Ice Xtreme II Radiator
Fill/Bleed Resevoir * http://www.directron.com/reservoir.html *
DangerDen Blue UV tubing
Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Now for what im aiming for. I wish to get in to some aggressive overclocking and case mods. So as long as top performance id like it to look nice. My budget is in the 200-300 range for the water setup but isent stuck there (i can probly swing another 100 if i find the need)

On a side note i went with that MB cause im building it on the surplus of my weekly paycheck so i wanted somthing i could upgrade while utilizing my RAM so i could save up to buy DDR2 and a PCI-E card. Once i aquire both ill prob move onto a new MB.

Well that should cover it, let me know any advice on any part of my setup and thanks in advance for any help. if i left anything out please just let me know and ill get all the information you would like.

I should also note that i was wonderig if you thought the water setup was expandable. i would like to include the GPU and chipset in the future and would like the option to do water cooling on the memory if i found the need for it

read the stickys. you'll find everything you need there. welcome to the forums btw :)

nice to see you going with a watercooler
it was this type of cooling that got me to the 4ghz range
but since the start of spring here in the uk my ambiant temps have gone
up 17c and i am looking at ways to cool the tank back down to at least 10c

good luck and welecome

bazx

bazx said:
since the start of spring here in the uk my ambiant temps have gone
up 17c and i am looking at ways to cool the tank back down to at least 10c

bazx

I dont think ill have that issue im lucky enough to live in a house with central air and the temp is a constant 71F-72F (i think thats bout 22C)

What psu do you have? If its coming out of your old rig, your going to need a new one. Fortron Blue and OCZ seem to be the most popular.

the thing with watercooling is you can only cool ya cpu as cool as the tank
which is being heated by the cpu and central heating in the house
the fans which blow through the rad reduce the temp but if you can get the
tank temp as low as pos you will realy notice the differance

bazx

yeah, i'd definitely go with an OCZ powerstream 520w or a fortron blue storm (500w)

and for a pump, go with the danger den D4 pump - its a MUCH better pump than the L35, and trust me, you'll be thanking me later for this

and for DDR2 - check out the OCZ Gold stuff - damn good ram for a decent price

and pci-e card, i'd probably go with a 6800 GT since you're on somewhat of a budget

bazx said:
the thing with watercooling is you can only cool ya cpu as cool as the tank
which is being heated by the cpu and central heating in the house
the fans which blow through the rad reduce the temp but if you can get the
tank temp as low as pos you will realy notice the differance

bazx

Like the water coolers they have for fish tanks or is there a product geared for computer water coolers?

Sneaky said:
yeah, i'd definitely go with an OCZ powerstream 520w or a fortron blue storm (500w)

and for a pump, go with the danger den D4 pump - its a MUCH better pump than the L35, and trust me, you'll be thanking me later for this

and for DDR2 - check out the OCZ Gold stuff - damn good ram for a decent price

and pci-e card, i'd probably go with a 6800 GT since you're on somewhat of a budget

Thanks ill check them both out and more then likly go with the OCZ PSU since i hear there name come up constantly.

The DD12V-D4 is the same as you mentioned and am i correct in saying it will run of my power supply? And the OCZ Powerstream 520w can hanlde that as well?

thanks for the DDR2 recommendation :)

Sneaky said:
yup, the D4 will run off your psu - it only draws 20w maximum, so you'll be fine

OCZ 520w is a TANK - a few people are actually running WC'd SLI rigs off the little beasts

edit:

here's the ram i was talking about, performance series, not gold (my bad)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-227-010&depa=1

Awsome.. that is a good price

Thanks everyone you put the Cool in my water COOLing :p

no objections to the rbx waterblock i gather....

The Aquaextreme 50z is a MUCH quieter pump than the D4 (same as MCP650). There is virtually no performance difference between the two, but the 50z is about 1/4th the volume.

TheMainFrame said:
Awsome.. that is a good price

Thanks everyone you put the Cool in my water COOLing :p

no objections to the rbx waterblock i gather....

just make sure you get the brass top - the lucite tops tend to crack after a while... and didn't yo mama tell you that crack is bad? :p

voigts said:
The Aquaextreme 50z is a MUCH quieter pump than the D4 (same as MCP650). There is virtually no performance difference between the two, but the 50z is about 1/4th the volume.

two question...

Is the D4 the same as MCP650 or is the 50z same as MCP650

And what do you mean by volume... GPH? is lower volume better?

D4 = MCP650

Aquaextreme 50z = updated version of MCP600 (no longer made)

the D4 pumps ~315 gph @ ~8.5t head

the 50z pumps ~185 gph @ 10.5ft head

they basically equal out in the end, and the new D4's have undergone a revision which helps make them a little bit quieter than the old ones

Is there any kinda like....

Cold plates or somthing of that nature for cooling the water in the resevoir?

Perhaps a really low watt peltier? one that wouldent go below freezing?

so would it be incorrect to say the only way to cool the water is to cool the entire box?

to not cause condensation i mean

Sentential said:
Huh? You dont PUT your pc underwater. You run the water through a radiator which is cooled by a casefan. By doing this it reduces the heat of the water and replaces the hot water coming from the PC

i was refering to his comment that putting a cooler on the resevoir would cause condensation..

so i would have to cool the whole box to prevent that?

Back