• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Water Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i keep my tank out side my rig
and condensation will always be a problem but if you lag the tubes this will be less of a problem as the outside temp of the room will not see the cooler
water inside the laged tube

i feel the only way to high numbers is in cooling the water imo
but this would take us into the extream cooling forum

bazx

TheMainFrame said:
Is there any kinda like....

Cold plates or somthing of that nature for cooling the water in the resevoir?

Perhaps a really low watt peltier? one that wouldent go below freezing?

Honestly if I were you I would just stop thinking about cooling the water with a pelt for now ( and proboly forever). All the pelt-cooled res that I have seen have been rather ineffecient and you can make a much better chiller out of an old A/C unit.

Ad Rock said:
Honestly if I were you I would just stop thinking about cooling the water with a pelt for now ( and proboly forever). All the pelt-cooled res that I have seen have been rather ineffecient and you can make a much better chiller out of an old A/C unit.

There is but one company I've ever seen that makes good TEC/Peltier type coolers for our applications... A company by the name of SuperCool makes some amazing TEC's that I've used in the research world. With proper conditions they can achieve 80%+ efficiency, but the things cost a few hundred a piece... Just my $0.02 on pelts

Mr.Guvernment said:
ditch that and get a dangerden fill port and a T line :D

a fill port and T line as well as a standard reservoir?

or do you mean dont use a reservoir at all?

Sneaky said:
nope - if you drop water temp below ambient, you'll get condensation

I am having a tad bit of trouble figuring our what you mean by ambient..

Can someone give me a laymens explanation of this term...

Does it simply mean that if everthing in my computer is exactly 71F then my ambient temp would be 71F? :bang head

Sorry if this is not a bright question but the explanation i found online dosent make much sence to me and i dont see any threads with this topic (if there is one please link)

Ambient temp generally describes the temperature of the surrounding area. For example, ambient room temp in a house in the winter is usually between 65-70F. Ambient CASE temp refers to the average temperature of the air inside your case. That's really variable from like 80f to maybe as high as 120f...

The quote if your temperature falls below ambient you'll get condensation is only true if relative humidity in that same air is 99%. Since that isn't the case, what really causes condensation is when the temperature of a surface drops below the DEWPOINT, then you get condensation on that surface. The dewpoints is the temperature at which air is saturated with water and can be found from weather forecasters and the like for your area (think weather channel ;)). As a general rule of thumb, if you're in mid-summer without A/C, any surface temperature of 70F or below and you'll get condensation. If you're in an air conditioned room, prolly below 50-55F and you're running into the condensation area, and if you're in a northern climate in the winter the dewpoint is usually around 35F or less...

Maybe that will help you out with your terms. Lemme know if you're still confused

Craptacualr said:
Ambient temp generally describes the temperature of the surrounding area. For example, ambient room temp in a house in the winter is usually between 65-70F. Ambient CASE temp refers to the average temperature of the air inside your case. That's really variable from like 80f to maybe as high as 120f...

The quote if your temperature falls below ambient you'll get condensation is only true if relative humidity in that same air is 99%. Since that isn't the case, what really causes condensation is when the temperature of a surface drops below the DEWPOINT, then you get condensation on that surface. The dewpoints is the temperature at which air is saturated with water and can be found from weather forecasters and the like for your area (think weather channel ;)). As a general rule of thumb, if you're in mid-summer without A/C, any surface temperature of 70F or below and you'll get condensation. If you're in an air conditioned room, prolly below 50-55F and you're running into the condensation area, and if you're in a northern climate in the winter the dewpoint is usually around 35F or less...

Maybe that will help you out with your terms. Lemme know if you're still confused

kicken! :attn:

Yay small words.. lol

I have a central air unit that keep the house in a perfect 70F-72F ( when set to 71F ) range and have a display panal that shows the humidity in the air... Its a nice system... How heavely would you bank on a reading from somthing like that?

FYI.. No windows open EVER ... Got Air filters on all outlits (If that even matters)

Craptacualr said:
Yeah thats pretty accurate of your room ambient temperature. Where in the world are you?

I live in texas, USA so in the summer were talking 95F+ on theme less then lovely days (and we get lots of those) and the central airs still manages to keep it at 72F max

edit: O and since where on ambient tempertures and such where is the best place to get the temp of my system? at the top of the box? i guess there cause heat rises and i prob wanna track the hottest temp right?

Back