• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED My G.Skill TridentX came in today! Questions already!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desync

My G.Skill TridentX 1866 came in today. I got the 16gb kit (2x8GB).

Put the sticks in and entered the bios. Memory still showed up as 1333mhz, so I changed it from AUTO to 1866mhz. Threw my CPU Multiplier up to 20.0 for a 4.0ghz OC and the ram failed. Had to move it back down to stock 3.1ghz.

I had AMD Turbo disabled, and everything in CPU Config disabled.

Here is a screenshot of what my BIOS looks like. This isn't my bios, just a pic I found on here.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120394&stc=1&d=1355605371

Attachments

• SPD.jpg
    SPD.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Memory.jpg
    Memory.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 167
Did you go into the Bios and check out the XMP PROFILES, to see what G.SKILL had set the Timings to?? Its in the SPD section usually towards the end of the Bios Info! :attn:

Then you can try this write down the timings and go into the Ram section and put those in by hand. Then enter the correct voltage by hand into the box, hopefully it should fire up and show and work @ the correct settings. :thup:

This is what you are looking for and what you need possible to get those ram to work for you!!

IMG_BIOS_12.jpg

111207032241.png

Asus-Sabertooth-990FX-4.8GHz-Memory-Timings.jpg

AJ.

Last edited:
Id try to manually set the speed, timings, and voltage that are listed on the XMP profile in the CPUz screenshot you already listed...in the vast majority of cases, you will not need to go (and should not go, unless you are benching for every last point) past the timings/voltage you see in CPUz.

I also suggest you change one thing at a time... meaning try not to up the multi AND change memory settings. Do one then other.

So which screen do I need to write down? The SPD Screen?

Also which XMP? One is 8-10-10-25 and one is 8-10-10-26

Id do the last XMP profile with the 1T timings as that is faster than 2T. Again, just mess with the 5 majors in CPUz there is no need to get that granular.

Appreciate it EarthDog. I looked at the website and they said it should be: 8-9-9-24

Are you looking at the right sticks on the website? That does not match what CPUz or your bios is reading from them...

Go into the last screen shot i posted and enter the timings you have found!

Enter each one when your done, just come out and F10 save the changes.

Do not forget the RAM SPEED also and the voltage to be entered before you leave the Bios OK!

EDIT: That ED IS NOT HIS CPU-Z its just borrowed that from this Web Site!!!

AJ.

Last edited:
Actually the CPU-Z screenshot is MINE. The BIOS screenshot was borrowed.

I went into BIOS and changed everything.

I did 8-9-9-24, 1.60 volts, and 1866mhz for speed

The ONLY thing that changed when I ran CPU-Z right now is CAS# Latency is 8.0 and RaS# to CAS# is at 9 now.

Actually the CPU-Z screenshot is MINE. The BIOS screenshot was borrowed.

I went into BIOS and changed everything.

I did 8-9-9-24, 1.60 volts, and 1866mhz for speed
GL with the 8-9-9-24 clocks.. that is not what CPUz is saying about them... I would set them what CPUz says first and then tighten them down later. Can you link the specific sticks you bought on newegg and the website?

Its odd to me that they are different... but I am far from a memory guru.... Ohhhhhh Woomaaaaaaaaaaaaack! LOL!

Which section of CPU-Z should I look at to see if they are correct? I put in 8-9-9-24 in the bios. But I don't see any 8-9-9-24 in CPU-Z anywhere

A little tip i picked up the other day was the first 3 numbers should add up to the last one! ;) :thup:

And in some cases even or odd numbers seem to work better with different platforms. ;)

I.E. 8 + 9 + 9 + = 26 in your case its = 24 !

As for the bottom number odd or even 16 or 23!!

GD Night AJ.

Which section of CPU-Z should I look at to see if they are correct? I put in 8-9-9-24 in the bios. But I don't see any 8-9-9-24 in CPU-Z anywhere
That would be found on the Memory tab of CPUz. That tab is your CURRENT memory settings while the SPD tab reads the programmed settings on the sticks...

@ Ajay, I thought that adding up stuff was IC specific? Are you sure about that or is this regurgitation without knowing why and the full scope?

Last edited:
Ok, Memory tab says

Channels: Single, thought I was getting Dual channel memory. Anywhere to change that in bios?

Also, says DRAM Freq: 936, shouldn't that say 1866? or is it meaning 936 x 2 sticks?

Then it says I'm running: 8-9-11-28

So, what went wrong with entering 8-9-9-24 in bios?

Ok, changed the ram to A2 and B2 slots on my mobo. CPU-Z now shows Dual Channel at 8-9-9-24

A big thank you to Ajay and EarthDog! learned a lot doing this. Really apprecate it!

Last edited:
You did not put them in the right slots... refer to your manual to confirm.

DDR = Double Data Rate 933*2 = 1866

Glad it worked out! You should test for stability... Prime 95 Blend, or select memory only test in AIDA for examples.

Thanks a lot once again. Running P95 now.

Gonna let P95 run a little longer then shoot for an OC on the cpu and hope everything runs great.

Last edited:
A little tip i picked up the other day was the first 3 numbers should add up to the last one! ;) :thup:

And in some cases even or odd numbers seem to work better with different platforms. ;)

I.E. 8 + 9 + 9 + = 26 in your case its = 24 !

As for the bottom number odd or even 16 or 23!!

GD Night AJ.

This is not the case with all memory, :-/ The easiest and fool proof method of getting the timings correct is don't use software to read them, do something crazy and out there, and look at the actual label on the sticks :eek: I know...its crazy yeah :escape:

Back