• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Gaming PC build. Any suggestion? (first time building)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ttnn

Hi everyone, I am looking forward to building a gaming PC, this is my first time building one, and I want to make sure everything is compatible and will run smoothly. As far as money is concern, my budget is around $1300. Below is a setup I've recently put together.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FmmJpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I would like to know:

Am I overdoing anything?
Should I have picked a less expensive part?
Do I need more storage?
Are there better parts at a better value?
Can you suggest a better overall build? ... etc

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for viewing! :)

1. Nope... well maybe the cooler
2. Perhaps a less expensive cooler. Unless you want every degree C there are better deals on solid performing coolers (Hyper 212 Evo to name one for less than half the cost)
3. That is up to you......
4. Seems solid to me
5. Looks in the ballpark. Most of what people suggest will be personal preference. If anything, perhaps get a slightly better board, but, it will take you where you want to go already...

I've made a couple of changes for you, got a few better parts there.

The RAM will clear the NH-D14 better.
The PSU is simply a better quality unit.
MSI has been iffy lately in motherboards, so I swapped to the Gigabyte.
Changed up to a 770, as the GPU is the key component in any gaming system.

There are some better cases for the money, if you'd like a suggestion there, but I left it for now.

If you want a DVD drive, grab an external unless you'll use it a ton.
I do all my Windows/driver installs from USB now as it's faster and you don't need to buy a disk drive.

I've made a couple of changes for you, got a few better parts there.

The RAM will clear the NH-D14 better.
The PSU is simply a better quality unit.
MSI has been iffy lately in motherboards, so I swapped to the Gigabyte.
Changed up to a 770, as the GPU is the key component in any gaming system.

There are some better cases for the money, if you'd like a suggestion there, but I left it for now.

If you want a DVD drive, grab an external unless you'll use it a ton.
I do all my Windows/driver installs from USB now as it's faster and you don't need to buy a disk drive.

Where can I view these changes you've made? I'd love to see it. :ty:
Also, yes I would like to know if any suggestion on the cases. And I do have an external optical drive, so perhaps I can leave that out and save myself a couple of bucks!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Love that build thus far and still awaiting for suggestion on a better case!

However, do you think I have gone overboard with a 750 watt PSU (or keep it for sli in the future)? and would liquid cooler like the corsair H60 be a better option?

Love that build thus far and still awaiting for suggestion on a better case!

However, do you think I have gone overboard with a 750 watt PSU (or keep it for sli in the future)? and would liquid cooler like the corsair H60 be a better option?

Take a look at the Corsair Carbide 300R (with or without window)
Also, check out NZXT's lineup. Their Source cases are priced very well.

My "normal" PSU recommendation for a 550W was only $10 less than the one I picked, that's just something with Canadian pricing...
That 750W will last this build, your next, and maybe one after that. They're as solid as it gets.

The H60 is junk compared to an NH-D14.

While an aio might look nicer inside your case, the Noctua will most certainly provide better cooling.

Take a look at the Corsair Carbide 300R (with or without window)
Also, check out NZXT's lineup. Their Source cases are priced very well.

My "normal" PSU recommendation for a 550W was only $10 less than the one I picked, that's just something with Canadian pricing...
That 750W will last this build, your next, and maybe one after that. They're as solid as it gets.

The H60 is junk compared to an NH-D14.

Aha! ok, thank you. Will definitely look into that.

Alright, after looking at the cases, I think I will go with the Carbide 300R mainly because of the cost.

As for the cooler, again, how does the Noctua compare to the Hyper 212 evo, if they're about the same, then the Hyper will be the wiser choice (half the cost).

Alright, after looking at the cases, I think I will go with the Carbide 300R mainly because of the cost.

As for the cooler, again, how does the Noctua compare to the Hyper 212 evo, if they're about the same, then the Hyper will be the wiser choice (half the cost).

The 212 EVO is a good budget cooler, but the NH-D14 will run ~5°C cooler and a LOT quieter.

Back