• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My govt assisted total upgrade....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When taxpayers file their 2008 returns, they will reconcile the amount of the credit with the rebate received. However, if the rebate was greater than the credit to which the taxpayer is entitled, the taxpayer won't have to repay the difference.

Well the RAID is nice, but if you don't upgrade often then pocket the 200 and upgrade the video card in a year.
and with no RAID the DS3L is great.

For the rebate thing, I thought it was a 600 check and the stipulation was you wouldn't get taxed on your first 600 worth of income in the 08-09 tax season which is basically a free check

The stimulus rebates will be calculated by the IRS using information on the 2007 tax returns. If taxpayers were entitled to a larger rebate based on their 2008 income, those taxpayers will be able to claim a tax credit for the additional amount. Taxpayers won't have to pay back the rebate, however, if using their 2008 income would result in a lower rebate amount.

Basically if it should have been higher you get the diff back and if it should have been lower you get that forgiven.

Tax rebates, refunds and returns are a silly scheme and I don't like seeing people get sucked in to the idea that they are somehow getting money back, nor all the commercials about 'spend your tax refund here.' It's your money in the first place :p The absolute best thing to do with it is pay down any debt, if you're already debt-free then great! The last time there was a tax rebate people tended to use it to pay down debt which is not what the government wants in a stimulus but it's a smarter thing to do long-term, if only the government itself could pay down their debt :rolleyes:

Yes, pay down $600 of your debt and that will make interest rates fall even more. It's a win-win situation for poor people and a losing situation for people who are better off.

How is it a losing situation for people who are better off? I suppose while their fixed interest bearing investments might not earn as much if interest rates go down, which is really more to do with the idiots at the Federal Reserve trying to prop up a poor monetary system but might be affected a little if there are less people paying interest, that should only be part of their investments. Stocks have always beaten fixed return investements in the long run so unless they're investing only in fixed return investments it shouldn't matter too much, and if they are then they're either too conservative with investments or very wealthy already.

Sorry for the off-topicness, I will stop now.

What exactly does a $123 sound card do?
That is the best X-Fi card they make next to the Platinum... I got an Extreme gamer from ZZF that did not have FAtality written all over it and it was cheaper than that one. Pretty much you get what you pay for. That is a very good Sound card... Now if you don't need the game controller port on the back there are cards just as good and much cheaper.

How is it a losing situation for people who are better off? I suppose while their fixed interest bearing investments might not earn as much if interest rates go down, which is really more to do with the idiots at the Federal Reserve trying to prop up a poor monetary system but might be affected a little if there are less people paying interest, that should only be part of their investments. Stocks have always beaten fixed return investements in the long run so unless they're investing only in fixed return investments it shouldn't matter too much, and if they are then they're either too conservative with investments or very wealthy already.

Sorry for the off-topicness, I will stop now.

Because if the economy doesn't get the boost the plan is supposed to provide through consumer spending then the market will go down even more and a recession will be in full swing. The market going down loses money for people with stock investments and 401k plans.

Must. Resist. Off-topic.

Er, yea, soundcard. The X-Fi's are good, in Vista you have to use the ALchemy software. Here's a review comparing them that's forward-looking assuming you will use Vista eventually. http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/13874/1 Page 4 is most interesting when they review the drivers, it notes that ALchemy isn't widely supported enough :-/ maybe that's not current any more but it depresses me a touch that I got an X-Fi based card recently.

yeah i bought one of those X-Fi XtremeMusic cards from Fry's for like $60. Can't wait to get my new motherboard (with one more PCI slot) so I can actually try it out. I bought it more for music and less for gaming.

SPEND SPEND SPEND ON THIS NEW COMPUTER! SAVE OUR ECONOMY!!!!

Yes, I would def. pay off debts first with the 600, lucky for me I have none...

What about $51 for a audio card? or is onboard acceptable for gaming.... I find it weird saying onboard is good enough for audio and gaming, but i haven't been in market for a few years so things might of changed?

My list

So what do you think I should add/remove/change, haven't heard anything directly from you lilbuddy (about computer setup) and I've been reading other topics ad see you are always making suggestions :)

thanks dermen, I would of felt really dumb if i ordered that :eek:

I updated my list with the memory, and changed m/b and added a nice case to the list. -95.00 for MIR...

brings total to 1091 + whatever shipping is going to be. Also might drop 50 on heatsink and fan

for m/b would getting a pci express 2.0 x16 be better IF the vid card I get is pcie 2.0?

also might get g5 instead of g9 for mouse. Think I'm almost *satisfied* and might be ready to order soon... need to order some before rebates expire

Last edited:
Are you buying this all right now? When do you get your check? The reason I ask is the Antec 900 is too expensive @ $120, you can often get it or a P180 for $60 AR. You could also wait for the CM690 which is often $20 AR. The Corsair PSU often has rebates as well. This could save you over $100.

I would go for 4GB of ram, 2x2GB. I really see no reason not to, it isn't that much more expensive and again you can wait for a rebate deal. With 4GB you will need to run a 64bit OS.

The G9 is crazy expensive, if you like your 510 I would stick with it. I went from a 510 to a G5 and really there isn't any noticeable difference to me. It may just be the cheapness in me, but there is no way I would pay over $30 for a mouse, I picked up my G5 for $25 a few years ago.

I would also hold off on the sound card, try out the onboard. If you think its good there is no point in spending the extra money. Only reason I have an X-Fi is because I won it at a Counter-Strike tourny. I plan on trying out my new MB's onboard and maybe selling the X-Fi since their Vista drivers are horrible, 20% CPU usage unless I disable all of the enhancements.

Definitely get a nice heatsink and overclock the CPU.

If you can't tell I am cheap lol. I am happy with a good system at a lower cost, but there is nothing wrong with paying the extra to get the best. Just depends on what you want and what you are willing to pay.

Are you buying this all right now?

No I can buy when they are on sale, but would like everything by early April, Late April at latest (i check SD! all the time and newegg, etc)

When do you get your check?

I dunno when they send them, i'm not really dependent on it for when I make my purchases (I have enough to cover it w/out check but i will put that money "towards" upgrade and I thought the title was catch)

The reason I ask is the Antec 900 is too expensive @ $120, you can often get it or a P180 for $60 AR.

Yes I saw this expired on SD! and it seems there have been quite a few deals as of late

You could also wait for the CM690 which is often $20 AR.

Do you like this one better then antec 900?

The Corsair PSU often has rebates as well. This could save you over $100.

thanks for heads up!

I would go for 4GB of ram, 2x2GB. I really see no reason not to, it isn't that much more expensive and again you can wait for a rebate deal. With 4GB you will need to run a 64bit OS.

Yeah I have XP home though and wasn't planning on getting vista (yet)

The G9 is crazy expensive, if you like your 510 I would stick with it. I went from a 510 to a G5 and really there isn't any noticeable difference to me. It may just be the cheapness in me, but there is no way I would pay over $30 for a mouse, I picked up my G5 for $25 a few years ago.

you seen the g5 v2? or have it? might get that instead (I will see how mx510 does when new system is up

I would also hold off on the sound card, try out the onboard. If you think its good there is no point in spending the extra money. Only reason I have an X-Fi is because I won it at a Counter-Strike tourny. I plan on trying out my new MB's onboard and maybe selling the X-Fi since their Vista drivers are horrible, 20% CPU usage unless I disable all of the enhancements.

Does x-fi go on sale often? If you are CS player don't you notice difference with audio card as opposed to on board? or not really?

Definitely get a nice heatsink and overclock the CPU.

Thermalight ultima-90 and a 120mm fan sounds good for this

If you can't tell I am cheap lol. I am happy with a good system at a lower cost, but there is nothing wrong with paying the extra to get the best. Just depends on what you want and what you are willing to pay.

Once e8400 is in stock (for ~210 or less) is probably when I will make a effort to get everything else I haven't got yet.

was also looking at This M/B because it has good reviews and people saying they can drop in e8400 with no problems.

And lastly I need a 8800GT 512mb... one on newegg, msi 8800 GT, seems pretty decent price

//edit:: updated wishlist with that vid card, took out mouse, and soundcard - MIR = 913 + S/H (seems like good price), also if i wait for deals I can take off another 60 or so?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have had both and I like the CM690 over the Antec 900 for a few reasons. The 690 has dust filters, is cheaper, easier to work with, and has much better cable management. Adding/removing hard drives in the 690 is 100x easier than the 900. The problem with the 690 is the fan grills, they create noise and limit airflow. If you don't mind doing a little cutting you can easily fix this. I sold my 900 and both of my rigs are in CM690s.

I have the G5 v1, the v2 just adds the 2nd thumb button. And that is the biggest thing I missed when I switched to the G5. I would go for the v2 over the v1 if you get a G5.

X-Fi goes on sale sometimes but I still don't know if it is worth it. I had a DFI Ultra-D, I noticed no improvement between the onboard and an Audigy2 ZS, I sold the Audigy2 ZS and used onboard. Then I had some Mic problems and won the X-Fi so I started using it. There was a noticeable improvement, but the new HD onboard stuff is supposed to be better than what my DFI had. I'm interested to try out my new MBs audio, I just haven't gotten around to it.

LilBuddy is right, if you aren't going to use RAID get one of the cheaper boards without it. No point in paying for extra features you won't use.

Back