• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new system OC: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe + Phenom II 945 Deneb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the info, Dolk.

Well this really stink... I was priming small FFT no issues for 6 hours, went downstairs to wash dishes (clean up after dinner) set up the hookah, started heating up the coal, came upstairs and the machine rebooted. :(

Damn it!! 3900mhz I thought I found a sweet spot.

Godman, I think that since you got 3.9ghz almost stable, by raising the ram, I think you should devote some time to finding your ram "sweetspot" so to speak. Maybe loosen a few of the timings and drop the multi (cpu) to crank up the speed and find where they top out.

Godman, I think that since you got 3.9ghz almost stable, by raising the ram, I think you should devote some time to finding your ram "sweetspot" so to speak. Maybe loosen a few of the timings and drop the multi (cpu) to crank up the speed and find where they top out.

Precisely what I'm doing right now.
I lowered my multi from 14.5x to 14.0x and doing a blend test on prime.

I also succesfully lowered my ram timings with AOD from 7-7-7-16-27 1T to 7-6-6-15 1T.

If it fails, I'll just loosen the timings to 7-7-7-16 again. The RAM is running 717mhz, 1434 ddr.

Okay, while typing one core just failed... going to now play with the RAM, find its sweetspot, and then find a happy medium between the CPU and the RAM.

The reason I'm not running 15x is so I can up the FSB more and get more out of my RAM.

Side note: g0dM@n you hooka? What flavor where you burning for the night?

Apple. 95% of the time that's what we smoke.
I also have watermelon but I still have to open the package. I have a huge $20 tub of apple that I've had since May... almost done with it. :)

Lately my girlfriend has been cool with me smoking inside... I use my leet atx case airflow technique downstairs to vent out the smoke LOL!!!

It's so funny how much I've learned from stuff here that I can apply to real life... okay, that and I also have a physics degree.

Back on topic:
ZIPZOOMFLY SHOWS THE 955 BE FOR ~$160-165 after 20% bing casbback!!
link
#1 - when I visit ZZF through bing it shows 4-20% so I'm not sure if it's safe to assume I get 20%
#2 - should I do this? is it worth getting the 955 BE if I'm BARELY able to fine-tweak 3.9ghz on this 945... If I can't hit 3.9ghz, then I'll be just below it.

QUICK QUICK!! :D

Yes.

Spend more money
Help stabilize the economy
profit
$$$$$$$$$$

(btw, you should try grape or pomegranate through white wine, trust me its a flavor experince you will never forget)

Yes.

Spend more money
Help stabilize the economy
profit
$$$$$$$$$$

(btw, you should try grape or pomegranate through white wine, trust me its a flavor experince you will never forget)

If I'm only going to gain 100mhz, it's not worth my time (screw the $$ in that case).
On water, what is typically the OC people get with the 955 these days?

As for the tobacco... are you telling me to get grape or pom and let it soak in white wine or they sell it the way you said...?

955 can see 3.9ghz on water in a 64bit OS if I'm not mistaken.

(don't soak, put the wine in the base instead of water)(hookah thread being started)

955 can see 3.9ghz on water in a 64bit OS if I'm not mistaken.

(don't soak, put the wine in the base instead of water)(hookah thread being started)

That's a lot of wine... my hookah is big. That would be an expensive smoke. :)

Dolk, right now I'm running Win7 64 and have my 945 @ 3.9ghz fairly stable (1-2mhz fsb drop will def be stable)... that's why I was wondering if it's still worth getting the 955... if I can't hit 4ghz+ for sure, it's not worth the TIME I'd have to spend OCing... nevermind the money. I'm sure in the end the cost would be maybe $20 to upgrade since there's bing cashback and I can resell the 945...

That's a lot of wine... my hookah is big. That would be an expensive smoke. :)

Dolk, right now I'm running Win7 64 and have my 945 @ 3.9ghz fairly stable (1-2mhz fsb drop will def be stable)... that's why I was wondering if it's still worth getting the 955... if I can't hit 4ghz+ for sure, it's not worth the TIME I'd have to spend OCing... nevermind the money. I'm sure in the end the cost would be maybe $20 to upgrade since there's bing cashback and I can resell the 945...

I don't think you should upgrade. That 945 you have seems to be very nice... it's one of the higher 945 OC's I've seen. As for the 955, like you said... 100mhz isn't worth it, and in this case, I wouldn't even guarantee 4Ghz.

I must say, I'm really upset that this board doesn't have more than 5x SATA and 1x eSata. I need 7 minimum total... 8 was nice on my last INTEL board. =/

I might have to swap out one of my SATA DVD drives and buy an IDE :(

I would think a SATA II controller card would be cheaper - but I have zero experience with those. Is there a reason you wouldn't go that route ...?

The only reason - I don't want clutter in my case and more cards and cables in the middle of the case, lol... that really is the only reason. I actually have a SATA150 card that I guess I could throw the DVD drives on... but I probably won't.

Either way, I can't believe one of the top dawg AM3 boards only has 5 sata ports...
I always need at least 2 for raid 0, 1 for storage so that I can decode stuff (it's slow when doing partition to partition on the same disk or array), 2 for my DVD burners, 1 for my eSata enclosure, and 1 for my eSata hot-swappable docking station (which I use for clients' drives). That's 7 minimum that I need! :(

IIRC 6 SATA ports is standard on the AMD SB (nVidia too I think?). Gigabyte adds it's own 4x SATA controller chip to it's better boards (for a total of 10).

I haven't been too happy with ASUS this time around. They seem to be neglecting AMD in favor of Intel :-/ but even my old A8N32 (arguably one of the best, if not the best, s939 boards) has the same set-up as yours; five internal, one external. I'm only using five because I decided not to go with dual optical drives (CD/DVD) this time around. I have the boot drive, a program/storage drive, RAID1 dual for long-term storage & critical data, plus the one DVD ...

IIRC 6 SATA ports is standard on the AMD SB (nVidia too I think?). Gigabyte adds it's own 4x SATA controller chip to it's better boards (for a total of 10).

I haven't been too happy with ASUS this time around. They seem to be neglecting AMD in favor of Intel :-/ but even my old A8N32 (arguably one of the best, if not the best, s939 boards) has the same set-up as yours; five internal, one external. I'm only using five because I decided not to go with dual optical drives (CD/DVD) this time around. I have the boot drive, a program/storage drive, RAID1 dual for long-term storage & critical data, plus the one DVD ...

I should have just gone with Gigabyte... what was I thinking!! It was about the same price for the combo too when I got my Phenom II stuff:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128377

You can do 1.5-1.55v but a lot of people speculate that will run down the CPU's life cycle quicker. So far I have read no reports approving or disputing this fact as of yet.

It makes sense that the faster memory speeds allowed you to get up into the 3.9ghz. You have to remember that the CPU, CPU-NB, and Memory work extremely close together. If one of them can't keep up with the other, than your OC will end up bad.

I had my Phenom II 940 at 3.8Ghz at 1.55V and I never had any kind of degration. When I finally sold it, I tested it for a few days and it NEVER had any kind of issue

I had my Phenom II 940 at 3.8Ghz at 1.55V and I never had any kind of degration. When I finally sold it, I tested it for a few days and it NEVER had any kind of issue

Even if there was degradation, I could care less... I'm an "overclocker"... I'm willing to take the loss to get more juice out of my CPU! :)

Hell, I used to de-lid my CHIPS all the time. Talk about depreciation in value. :)

By the way, I forgot to mention: not only am I upset about my board (ASUS M4A79T Del) having only 5 SATA ports, but also that it's not dual LAN. Every single top-of-the-line board that I've bought had at least 8 SATA and dual lan, and this board doesn't. I'm still upset about that!! There were other gripes too, but I don't remember them all.

But... I guess I'm okay right now. hope that lasts... running just over 3.8ghz @ 1.5v and just over 1400mhz on RAM 7-7-7-16 1T

I just realized something.
GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P

The only real difference I think between that board (790X chipset) and my board (790FX chipset) is that mine supports crossfire x16/x16. I have never SLIed or ran XFire, so what do I care?

This makes me wonder: wouldn't I have been better off with that Gigabyte instead of the more expensive 790FX Gigabyte? I can't believe it's only $112 after rebate!!

I could flip my board and return some $$ in my pocket. That board has 8 SATA ports like I desired. Man do I feel stupid...

Back