• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new system.....thoughts please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ringside

Registered
Hello all,

It's been five years since my last build,and I'm about to assemble a new machine with some new parts and some old (case, psu) and I'd like some thoughts please.

I just managed to pick up a Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA CPU for $189 and I'm planning on pairing it with the Asus Z97-A motherboard which is currently $149

I'm picking up a Samsung Evo SSD, and I'd planned on the following RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) $89.99.

Any thoughts on this? Other motherboard or memory options for the same kind of prices?

I'll mainly be using it for amateur video editing, general use but none to very little gaming (if I get around to getting a video card).

I currently have a Radeon HD 4550. Is it worth putting back in the machine for video editing or making use of the CPU instead?

Cheers!

if your gaming, the 4550 is still going to be better then the on-die video intel provides, unless you get a new card. which EVO and are you using any other drives?

my only suggestion might be mobo, AsRock Z97-Extreme6, packs alot for its $169 price. just suggesting to take a look at it...

This is my older power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

I did toy with the idea of upgrading it to a more powerful modular one but I'm not sure I really need it.

This is the SSD I was planning on getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=samsung_evo_ssd-_-20-147-248-_-Product. I'm still going to use a couple of standard drives too, for storage. When I've finished projects I'll move them over off of the SSD.

Also, may I ask what benefits that AsRock board would give me?

Cheers all!

the board packs the M.2 connection as well as the Ultra M.2, which is a small slot based connection for SSD's. it allows for much higher bw then using say a sata ssd, m.2 has the same bw as SATAex, Ultra M.2 is higher then SATAex.

if you want to read a bit more about it
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7688492&postcount=6
is some info about it since that person was talking about the samsung XP941 M.2 ssd

U already picked up the CPU right? You could make a decent build for less money though. This build is pretty solid but since u're doing 0 to very little gaming and amateur video editing it's a bit... overkill imo

Thanks for the info on the motherboard, I'll look into it.

Bardock I'm always up for alternative suggestions. I'm still looking to get a board and RAM. That should complete the puzzle.

Cheers everyone.

I would have maybe pushed up to an i7-4770K and would look at getting something like a FirePro V3900 if video editing is your main thing.

I would recommend a Hyper 212+ Evo cooler for at least a mild OC.

Back