• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Overclock, how much is too much?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zulfy26

My Overclock - Why isn't it stable?

With the hard ware from this thread:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=393057&page=1&pp=30

Heres some results.
3Dmark05, 8800
3Dmark03, ~13k
3Dmark01, 28000

vidcards.jpg

2 BFG 6800GT OC's with their new arctic silencers
mobo.jpg

An Asus SLI motherboard
bios.jpg

highest we got into bios, didn't go any higher for fear of death. :shrug:

case.jpg

A Tt Armor case. I didn't do any cable management because we wanted to turn it on and play around.

Ok now about the overclocking factor. We could get into Windows at ~2.9ghz, but P95 would crash (read: error) after about 2 minutes.
We'd try something to the jist of... 240x12 @ 1.6v, with ram at 2-2-2-5 @ 1t @2.9v. If we loosened timings it wouldn't get any more stable. Or if we tried something like 330x8, it woulnd't be any more stable.

What do I need to change to make it any more stable. I looked at the CPU database and with a 4000+ SD the best was 2.9 or so on water, so I guess i'm happy with a 2.7 stable on air.

Last edited:
i think u dont want it to total over 1000, so if your fsb goes to 250, put it to 4x
i think it connects cpu to pci-e? maybe not, lol

The Hyper Transport Frequency multiplier is actually called the LDT. It stands for Lightning Data Transport (how cool is that!) What it is, is for connections outside the CPU, as in ur CPU to ur Chipset, ur Chipset to AGP/PCI-E, Chipset to _____, CPU to _______. Basicly it's what FSB is, but it's alot bigger, and isn't technically FSB. Anyway, I've seen benchmarks and raising the LDT does about nothing for performance.

So what you want to do, is keep this setting as low as u can because it will give your ALOT of stability. But if you can pull it off, try keeping it raised, but w/ out killing stability. What I mean is 1x will prove most stable, but if u can use 2x w/ the same stability, use it.

So basicly, lower that LDT's *** down to 1x and see if stability increases!! :)

Paul1 said:
He said the BIOS, not Windows.

Just because he got into BIOS doesn't make it stable what so ever, so until he gets into Windows, passes P95 and other stress tests, shoots all those shots plus a CPU-Z shot, it's not stable nor believeable.

And yeah, I understand people do cheat by editing their screenies

Back