• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Personal E4400 overclocking on the cheap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alpha_One

After nine months of replacing my dead Asus P5GPL with a Foxconn P9657AA-8KS2H and 2GB of cheapoass Kingston DDR667 5-5-5-15 to go with it, I've replaced my P4 530J with a C2D E4400:

PB300488.png
:santa:

The first thing I've done with it, is of course overclock it! Unfortunately, my Foxconn's BIOS didn't allow a 1:1 FSB:memory ratio on the default 800MHz strap, I had to do a BSEL mod. I didn't have conductive paint, so I used aluminium tape instead. It was difficult, the pins were small and the tape was so close to the adjacent pins.

TipidPC forums: LGA775 mods c/o jcmarfilph

I didn't have any pics of my own mod, but it looked much like this (c/o the link above):

2315131260063660723S500x500Q85.jpg

I got an L2 stepping CPU. Now I know the E4xxx series don't overclock as well as the E6xxx series, and the L2 runs hotter than the M0. I was surprised with my own results, considering that other people couldn't even get 2.9 without pumping VCore.

Initially on the stock HSF, I managed to get 311x10 (3.11GHz) on stock volts, which ain't too shabby! However, the temps went all the way to 20C to TJunction which I wasn't comfortable with. So I bought a CoolerMaster HyperTX2, not the best cooler but it's cheap and it's good for the price.

Replacing my stock HSF:

PB290481.jpg

PB290483.jpg

Temps went down 10C @ load. I also managed to get to 3.21GHz with a 0.01275v VCore bump. Memory is running at 4-4-4-12 DDR2-642, 1.8v. Northbridge is actually undervolted by 0.12v. Orthos stable for 5 hours and F@H error-free for 24 hours.

It's not extreme by any means, but going from that Preshott, I'm really happy! More so because I'm using a cheap board, cheap RAM, cheap CPU and a cheap cooler that can keep up with machines way more expensive than it!

CPUZ_C2D.jpg

FoxOne_C2D.jpg
(NOTE: FOXONE memory speed is WRONG!)

CoreTemp_C2D.jpg
(All temps at 100% load, folding)

Summary:
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.21GHz, 321x10 (L2 stepping)
CPU on 1.3375 VCore (+0.01275 of stock)
Cooler Master HyperTX2 HSF
Foxconn P9657AA-8KS2H
2x1GB Kingston DDR2-667 5-5-5-15 @ DDR2-640 4-4-4-12
RAM @ 1.8v (stock)
Northbridge voltage at 1.18v (according to FOXONE) (-0.12v of stock)
PSU: Enermax EG-365P-VE 350w (26A on 12v single)

Mods:
1066 strap BSEL mod using aluminium tape
Northbridge cooling mod (cheap small fan on NB)

Last edited:
It's not extreme by any means, but going from that Preshott, I'm really happy! More so because I'm using a cheap board, cheap RAM, cheap CPU and a cheap cooler that can keep up with machines way more expensive than it!
There's nothing better than overclocking cheap hardware to expensive hardware performance levels.

Nice OC on the E4400, mine tops out at 3.1Ghz, even with high volts :(

Thanks. I was actually able to boot up to 3.33GHz, passing Memtest86+ on the volts I run 3.21GHz in, but it just BSOD's in Windows even at 1.375v (+0.5v from stock). I haven't tried higher volts yet, though I might. For now, I'm staying at 3.21GHz.

Can't say enough how satisfying it is getting the most out of cheap hardware. My E4400 has performed way above my own expectations - I was targeting 3.0GHz, and was actually content with the 2.66GHz on the pad mod (hey, it's a 660MHz overclock!). I guess I really got lucky with it!

the BSOD is more the likly from your ram. drop the timings down and go up to 333mhz with another bump or 2 in cpu volts. :) :thup:

Thanks. I was actually able to boot up to 3.33GHz, passing Memtest86+ on the volts I run 3.21GHz in, but it just BSOD's in Windows even at 1.375v (+0.5v from stock). I haven't tried higher volts yet, though I might. For now, I'm staying at 3.21GHz.

Can't say enough how satisfying it is getting the most out of cheap hardware. My E4400 has performed way above my own expectations - I was targeting 3.0GHz, and was actually content with the 2.66GHz on the pad mod (hey, it's a 660MHz overclock!). I guess I really got lucky with it!

Looking good! After 3.0GHz, I know mine starts being a voltage hog. It scales like this (all settings are BIOS, before Vdroop):

3.2GHz - 1.445Vcore
3.33GHz - 1.485
3.4GHz - 1.525
3.5GHz - 1.565 (Can't test this for hours b/c of temperature issues on air, but it appears stable. Here's the thread on that subject, which is my personal best thus far.)

...I just now noticed how well that scales. Should have seen that long before now; it would have saved me a bunch of time! Oh well, live and learn.

For the heck of it, I tried 3.6GHz at that Vcore and it wouldn't boot into windows. 3.54GHz would boot into windows & run stuff, but Orthos wasn't stable, likewise with 3.53. Any more Vcore scares me...I have no cash for an extra CPU.

Agreed about how satisfying it is. Fun too. These little chips definitely have it where it counts. Great clocks, keep up the good work!

I've gone for 3.33GHz again, this time with the memory on 5-5-5-15 and a VCore of 1.38 (+0.6275v). Still not stable, giving out BSOD's and random reboots about 20 minutes into Orthos. I really don't want to push any further because temps are getting way too high for comfort (18C to TJunction) - 1.4v++ I guess is just going to make it worse.

yea you want at least 20c till tjunction, so i would back it down then. still the bsod leads me to the ram. the random restarts could be more cpu volts but could also be a psu issue...

3.33GHz!

Crikey!

orthos3332hours.png

CPUZ333.png

333hothothot.png

FOXONE333hot.png

I managed to get the thing running at 10x333! This time, I bumped all volts UP, VCore at 1.425 (+0.1v) in BIOS (1.40v after VDroop), RAM +0.05v, and the northbridge up to default volts. I took the screenies after 2 1/2 hours of Orthos, and it even managed to do a few percent of the currently running folding WU's in the background! It's still going right now, actually (3 hours and counting). Comes at a price though, that thing is HOT! It goes around maybe 15C to TJunction, topping out at a scorching 8 to TJunction!

It wasn't slowing down so maybe it didn't throttle yet, but this definitely won't be my 24/7 setting. It's a pretty cold day here, ambient temps at about 23C, but on hot days it goes up to the mid 30's!

This thing will run at 3.33 for the whole afternoon, and then I'll set it back to 3.21 before I go to sleep. I'm very satisfied with my chip.

I'm sure this will go to at least 3.4, but I'm going to need much better cooling. Which means high-end air or water - which completely defeats the purpose of my "budget overclock". :D

I'm glad it's not my PSU though. :beer:

Good clocks, but I'd begin to get worried about the temps. 85c for a long time is bound to begin degrading the chip. Glad you got it stable...just watch that you don't injure that good little 4400 you have there!

I just did. Back to 3.21 now, 30C to TJunction looks good. It was fun while it lasted. 3.33GHz isn't much faster, and a lot more trouble too, but I'm glad I was able to take it that far.

Back