• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Rebuilt PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes my board is a Asus P5N-D.

It seems these capacitors and chokes that need heat sinks in them are directly under the Cooler Master V8 GTS.

Are these heats inks short so that the V8 GTS will still fit back on?

I'm guessing the V8 GTS will not keep them cool by keeping the CPU cool in their proximity?

Those heatsink are short (an inch?)... see their dimensions in the link. You should then be able to measure the space between the cooler and those heatsinks to see if it will fit. ;)

I don't think that I want to buy another socket 775 board.

I'm ok with spending money on parts that I can use going forward but the P5N-D is at EOL for my uses. Any extra speed I get out of it is appreciated but if I am limited by the voltage I can live with it.

I'm waiting for a hexa or octa non extreme core i7 to come along with a good amount of pcie lanes supported and then I'm going to pull the trigger on the upgrade.

Although all of this is extremely valuable in terms of making sure I pick out a better motherboard when the time comes. :)

It's the mosfets that really need the heatsinks worse than the capacitors and the chokes. And they are usually further away from the socket. The flat square things. You would probably have to temporarily remove the cooler to get to them but there should be clearance for the heatsinks in the kit I linked. They often come with teflon tape adhesive to stick them on but Arctic Silver Alumina epoxy is probably a better long term solution for adherence. http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_thermal_adhesive.htm

Attachments

• mosfethsf.jpg
    mosfethsf.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
So I got home and the Bluray encoded without issue. I used MakeMKV to rip the disc over night and handbrake to compress it and format it as a m4v while I was at working today. I figure 2 hours of gaming over 10 hours worth of video encoding work is a good indication of it being stable. So I went ahead and bumped it up to 3.45GHz and have still allowed the RAM to be linked. So far it has booted but I have not done anything very stressful on it. If it doesn't give me issues playing some Mass Effect 2 for a hour or so then I'll give it some more DVDs to encode tonight and see how it does.

All in all I have to say I love this case and the CPU cooler. They look amazing and they perform well. I'm also blown away at how much less heat my machine is producing. This thing was cranking away all day encoding a 1080P image with 5.1 audio video source and it didn't create a sweat shop in my office. Maybe that has more to do with the new power supply but with more processing power and less heat I'm a happy camper.

15% Overclock.png

Update:

I just got into the game and even while moving around in a mission with enemies moving around and shooting and my squad attacking my frame rate didn't dip below 60 FPS. I'm going to finish up this mission and then see how The Old Republic runs. I know my computer was CPU bound last time I ran it. I'm dying to know what another 450MHz does for my experience with it.

Last edited:
Foregoing gaming for now this morning I have been testing with prime 95 and doing a more precise overclock. I unlinked the ram and lowered my CPU multiplier to 6 and set my FSB to 1500. I ran Prime85 for 10 minutes and it reported no issues. So I rebooted and bumped the multiplier up to 7 and tested again and it seemed stable after ten minutes. Currently I'm back at 3GHz but with a FSB of 1500 on a multiplier of 8. With four iterations of the test run through being a pass I think I can bump the multiplier up again easily enough and test again.

So far I have not had to adjust the voltages at all.

Update:

I have it at 800MHz for the RAM 1550 FSB and the multiplier is 9. The voltages are still on the default setting. The CPU is starting to warm up a little more but at load the max it has been is 57 Celsius and it is holding stable. I figure I have some head room to push the FSB up to 1600 and see how it goes.

I just got paid today. With this hard drive being as slow as it is I'm seriously thinking about going over to the Best Buy today when they open and buying the highest capacity SSD they have.
3487MHz Prime95 Stress Test.png

Last edited:
Back