• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My VGA silencer....mod!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
good idea, i never liked the way the fans are setup on gpu coolers. having the fans flat and close to the HS surface, then making the air turn 90 dergrees with no curvature is soo inefficient and causes great amounts of turbulence, and on top of that it has to flow through a set of long fins

some of thoughts if i may:
you should use a smaller fan, or better yet put a shroud on it.... ur leaving the 'good parts' of the fan, airflow, unused. and maybe incorperating the plastic housing of the silencer to exhuast the hot air through the pci slot to lower case temps? it is one of the great features of silencer

I put two 80mm fans on the vga silencer heatsink like circuitbreaker did. Didn't gain that much of an overclock (I'm at 470mhz on the core now) but at least it's cooling better than the stock silencer setup.

bobmanfoo said:
good idea, i never liked the way the fans are setup on gpu coolers. having the fans flat and close to the HS surface, then making the air turn 90 dergrees with no curvature is soo inefficient and causes great amounts of turbulence, and on top of that it has to flow through a set of long fins

some of thoughts if i may:
you should use a smaller fan, or better yet put a shroud on it.... ur leaving the 'good parts' of the fan, airflow, unused. and maybe incorperating the plastic housing of the silencer to exhuast the hot air through the pci slot to lower case temps? it is one of the great features of silencer

I have two 80mm exhaust fans, im sure a 40mm 10cfm fan would help with removing airflow:p :)

Normal fans really do suck with those things. The backpressure is going to be insane. You will hardly feel any air going through the fins. I stuck a blower on there and now there is no backpressure, really good air going through the fins. It's actually cool to the touch! And its shooting air out over the front ramsinks cooling those. :D

where did you get that heatsink?
I'm looking at the zalman, but I think it's too big.
I already have a 80mm on the stock hs...
-username17

hmm you think it'd be better to use 2x60mm fans, one on each side, blowing in a push/pull method, through the fins of the heatsink? like mounted to the sides?
just a thought...

CircuitBreaker8 said:
Can you post a pic Cerberus2k7?

He has an entire thread with his mod.

username17 said:
where did you get that heatsink?
I'm looking at the zalman, but I think it's too big.
I already have a 80mm on the stock hs...
-username17

It's a VGA Silencer Heatsink with the fan and plastic ripped off, as well as the switch and metal cover, I believe.

Nice mod..VGA always needs better cooling :D

The small fan from my ti4200 is making far too much noise, im cooling it from distance with a 80mm fan now (unplugged stock fan), but im looking if i can get my old stock intel HSF on it sometime.

If I end up going to Rio this Friday, i'll have my friend bring his digicam so I can snap some pics. That thread only has my revision 1 pics. :p

Back