• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mystery file taking up space need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so yesterday i did a fresh install of windows 7 onto my 240gig SSD. i went into the command prompt and turned off hibernation, i also went into system restore and dropped it down to 1% and lastly moved the virtual memory over to the secondary drive. as u can see from the photos either im seeing things or theres a mystery file taking up a full 20 gigs of space unless im reading things wrong any ideas?

i have downloaded all the windows updates plus the service pack theres no way a fresh inastall plus updates takes 40 gigs i have no other programs installed just windows 7 and its updates

drive c computer.PNG drice.PNG

Go into folder options and uncheck "hide protected system files" and also check the box "show hidden files and folders". That should make it easier to track it down.

Go into folder options and uncheck "hide protected system files" and also check the box "show hidden files and folders". That should make it easier to track it down.

found it it was the paige file i moved it to the second drive but forgot to delete the file from the main drive

you can also just go into the system settings and reduce the size of the page file (or even delete it) if you have sufficient system RAM

Actually, getting rid of pagefule altogether may lead to some weird problems with some programs. Some of them still need VM even though you got plenty of ram. I would just set a small pagefule just to be safe. Don't set "system managed size", set min and max to like 1024, so you have one gb of contiguous file.

Back