• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NAND prices dropping? 2019 could be the year for that upgrade!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As long its Fast SSDs that would be great! The intel QLC SSDs seem very weak for SSDs. Some reviews i saw showed after cache it dipped to 100MBps!

interesting article, SSD prices might drop but im sure your next Galaxy or iPHONE wont be any cheaper. with the market being flooded with TLC nand and QLC slowly coming out, the question is. just how cheap is that 1tb TLC drive going to get from samsung! right now it seems it is going to be a while before we see the prices starting to drop. right now on newegg you can get a Team Group L5 LITE 3D 1TB on sale for $159, then look at samsungs 860evo 1tb at $219. even right now it seems there is more supply then demand and prices have not changed to reflect that.

trekky,
i keep going back and rewriting my reply to you, only to change it, this is the 4th time. LOL the intel 660p is a entry level M.2 drive, consider that single sided 4 chips is 2tb. using a smaller controller to fit 4 on one side, now thing if they were able to get a better controller in the same size. then add proper cache that is more in-line with mainstream drives, think about how much better it would do? what about the fact that intel then could use the other side of the pcb to make it a 4tb m.2 drive. how much bigger could a QLC drive be/get in a 2.5in form factor, with even more cache, maybe a even better controller. use a SAS to M.2 or U.2 connector, like some of intels other drives, QLC could get interesting then. its all about baby steps, im glad to finally see a strong ssd in M.2 for the entry level computers. i just say keep in mind its for entry level and that means basic computing with office workloads. With that in mind they wont tax it enough for the dip to 100mb/s to be a problem, im sure they will be happy the PC boots near instantly vs HDD.

your next Galaxy or iPHONE

...doesn't exist. Don't have, and won't have, a smart phone. LOL I just want to see DDR prices drop to something sensible again, like the $99 I paid for my 16 GB of Trident Z.

Still waiting for 2.5" 8 TB SSDs... I'm amused by the talk about "enterprise" pricing in the article. Gotta love getting a BS markup just because you have a big wallet :)

Still waiting for 2.5" 8 TB SSDs...
since intel is ahead with QLC, i would be willing to say they might be the first 8tb drive by using QLC. i know they wouldnt be able to get the higher price for a mainstream drive or highend using QLC. it would for the size alone be worth the mark up using say a SAS to U.2 or M.2 connection for nvme, would be a killer combo IMO. i doubt it would happen but its nice to dream. possible 8TB drive at 4tb prices...

Back