• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NCCH-DL Vcore mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

Hey guys, I have joined with all the 1.6lv commotion, and I am getting all my parts together. I am hoping to build something that I can upgrade to noconas when I have some more cash. Right now I am planning on a NCCH-DL, and I am probably going with the pin mod that changes the VID to 1.6 or so. Would it be possible to volt mod the board to send 1.6V (or just a totally adjustable voltage) to the chip without having to short the pins? Does anyone know someone who has done any mods on this board? Thanks! :thup:

Honestly placing wires in the socket is the best safest most dependable way to increase vCore.And as far as i know there is no other way to get anything over stock because the main board gets it's voltage requirements from the CPU.

I have modded this board,it is easy to work with,runs stable and is fast a light,Scottie and Kirk would have loved this on board the Enterprise :)

okay, sounds good. I think I will order the board tonight, then I just need mem. I'll be sure to post if I have problems. Hopefully I can get it going at 200fsb +. Thanks!

veryhumid said:
okay, sounds good. I think I will order the board tonight, then I just need mem. I'll be sure to post if I have problems. Hopefully I can get it going at 200fsb +. Thanks!

there are ways to get even more vcore than the pin mod provides...check in the sticky guide for links (that are in magenta color)

i'm not sure how much has been done with the ncch-dl, though...will look into it

veryhumid said:
just seem like even 1.6 would cook such a low voltage chip. how long have you guys been running these at 1.6V?

I didn't know you were looking to send LESS voltage to the chip. In that case there are different wire-mods (just placing the U-wires in different positions) and you can get anywhere from 1.3 to 1.6 volts in .025 volt increments.

Many people can also run at default 1.3Volts at 2.5-2.8ghz (if you are happy with that kind of clockspeed).

As far as running them at 1.6 volts, I haven't heard of any chips dying from it, but if you go for more than 1.6volts most people don't recommend that.

veryhumid said:
just seem like even 1.6 would cook such a low voltage chip.

in my view these 1.6ghz LV chips are really just the same xeons as any other D1 chips...just that they are factory set to run at 1.3v instead of 1.5 or 1.525v, like many other D1 chips...

therefore, when run at 1.6v (more like 1.56-1.57v on the PC-DL and NCCH-DL) then you are hardly overvolting these chips at all...

most anecdotal evidence suggests that +10% increase in voltage is safe for many years with adequate cooling...and in this case, you're really only going from 1.5 to 1.6v, so that's less than a 10% increase...

as an example, i ran a p3 700 at 933mhz with +10% voltage for almost 3 years without a problem and the current owner has been running it another 2 years without a problem...

i believe the xeon's max voltage suggested by intel is 1.75v...have to check that though...

veryhumid said:
just seem like even 1.6 would cook such a low voltage chip. how long have you guys been running these at 1.6V?

How do you figure ? I would not even consider it beng problem.Matter of fact I not only run it at 1.6vCore but went from 1600MHz to 3291MHz,And water cooled my temps at 100% load are 30c,That is not a typo, let me say it again 30c lol.. :attn:

Add to the mix these processors cost $100.00 a pair and weigh risk against potential gain and I say lets have a barbacue.. :beer: with a good brand of beer of course.

just meant by seeemed. I don't know anything about xeon cores, but a .3 bump in voltage on a northwood would make it very very dead ;)

Back