• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a decent 1155 cooler.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
I am looking for a conventional mount (plastic pins) cooler that can be redily removed for CPU and TIM related work. Speed of the removal and installation is more critical to me than heat removal but I need better than this stock thing.

Arctic Cooling's push pins are lighting fast. I don't know how many times push pins work before they inevitably go plunk due to fatigue... But regardless, they always go in on the first try, properly, unlike Intel's.

Maybe a Freezer 13? It's not good. Nothing with pushpins is. Better than stock.

Yeah, the Freezer 13 is about your best bet with what you are looking for. It's not super high performance, but does provide better than stock cooling. It can cool a Bloomfield at 4 GHz, which puts out a lot more heat than a 1155 processor. And the Intel mounting system is a lot nicer than the abortion that Intel dreamed up, believe me. Actually is a push pin system that doesn't suck.

You also might look at the Freezer 13 Pro too, which uses a 120 mm fan instead of the 92 mm fan the Freezer 13 uses. I would think the F13 Pro would do better.

BTW, if you have specific questions about the F13, give me a PM and I can discuss if further. I can't say more right now in the open forums, but can answer more questions you might have privately. ;)

mudd

Super cooling capacity is not needed. Sustained overclocks (if any) would be mild as the purpose of this rig is a testbed fo video cards when our regular tester has a rig down; so, I really just need the extra cooling ability to offset the heat generated by overclocking the video card. The stock cooler is great with a low end-mid level nVidia video card or just about any ATi card in the 6XXX series at stock speeds.

When running FUR-MARK the case gets mondo hot.

I have a Freezer 13 Pro that I reviewed recently (link), it has good cooling power and a mere two clips (for fan removal) and two screws gets it off to replace TIM. Very quick/easy.
The Freezer13 (non-pro) I haven't reviewed yet (will be later this week/weekend), but it has the same mounting setup and is $10 cheaper.
Either one sounds ideal for your testing.
The pushpins are quite solid, they take a bit more time to get in than Intels, but are stronger IMO.
Best part though is that the frame stays pushpinned into the mobo, and the heatsink screws to the frame.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Add another fan for a push and pull and you are set.

+1
Really dont need a second fan for small OC's

Mounting system is super easy.

Where are the push pins?

I have a Freezer 13 Pro that I reviewed recently (link), it has good cooling power and a mere two clips (for fan removal) and two screws gets it off to replace TIM. Very quick/easy.
The Freezer13 (non-pro) I haven't reviewed yet (will be later this week/weekend), but it has the same mounting setup and is $10 cheaper.
Either one sounds ideal for your testing.
The pushpins are quite solid, they take a bit more time to get in than Intels, but are stronger IMO.
Best part though is that the frame stays pushpinned into the mobo, and the heatsink screws to the frame.

I think that is the way I am going.

No push pins on the Hyper 212 just 4 screws.
The screws use captured springs which makes installation very easy.

Does this require the removal of the MB for installation and reinstallation?

I really don't want a backplate.

It uses a backplate and the original install will require the removal of the mobo. But once you have the backplate installed, you don't need to remove the mobo from the case again for re-installation. The backplate locks the mounting studs to the mobo on the original install and the mounting crossbar then screws into that. It uses an "X" type crossbar arrangement and is used to mount to all platforms, Intel or AMD. You can look at my review of the Hyper 212 Plus to see the mounting equipment if you are curious about it.

Does this require the removal of the MB for installation and reinstallation?

I really don't want a backplate.

Yeah, it's for the heatsink. You would need to take the MB out to install it - it has a backplate and securing nuts for the screws in the back.

Yeah, it's for the heatsink. You would need to take the MB out to install it - it has a backplate and securing nuts for the screws in the back.

Yeah I was trying to avoud that. I got the F13 from Muddy and it does great with my ICD24.

I may need to do a quick CPU swap at any time and that is why I needed the push pins. I don't like doing some things on the bench because the only way to get accurate results where heat, voltage and speed all come into play is in the operational environment.

The F13 was a perfect fit and I can use all of my ram slots with standard height memory.

Back