• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a good VPN router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLMIB

okay, hasta be able to VPN between multiple locations with extreme security, have gigabit uplinks(well, 2, one for up, one for down...) 'n use 10/100's on the ports. I think cisco would be best, but I just can't find one...)o, 'n we're using a t1 for internet at the moment, any ideas?

(tried looking, but I can't figure out cisco's website for anything)

er, hopefully under 5k, I just have 3 places I need to connect, one already has a small linksys router with VPN, but the main place didn't have the cash. We're writing the budget now so I can put it in, problem is all the ones listed there only seem to have 10/100's, 'n I don't want that to be a bottleneck in the future at all......(that 'n I'm not quite sure what all that other stuff is for, like AIM....?) nor do they seem to have more than 2 ports, so do they just go between the modem and router?

The router are set up to run with a switch, Internet comes in from modem to router, router to switch. Thats why the routers dont have many output ports. So your going to need a switch to then huh? How many port are you needing?

hmm, well I'm using 64 right now, but we just have 2 stacked 32's, figured I'd keep at 32's because they're a bit cheaper, right?

'n are all the VPN's 10/100 than? 'n wouldn't that 'cause a huge bottleneck?

Ya, I would just stick with the 32's for now. All the Vpn routers/switches I've seen are 10/100. I just tried finding some 1000 but no luck.

The bottle neck wouldn't be to bad unless you got everybody on there doing video or something like that at once.

Whats going to be the main traffic accross the network or what kind of files types, size?

we'll it'd be used to sync dns servers and every once 'n a while access network shares life arial photo's. maybe once 'n a while video. so does it go t1- vpn/router- switches? 'n if so whats the point to having 10/100/1000 between the switches if your only gettin 100 out through the router?

Well your T1 is going to be you bottle neck over Wan but for Lan all the nodes on a 1000 switch will be able to share at 1000 within that domain. Know what I mean?

All your router is doing is allowing you to connect to other Wan's over your T1, so 10/100 won't be a problem there because your T1 is going to bottle neck.

so is it the 2xxx line that starts to do all the processing within the unit?(they make it a big deal) 'n does this line "The Cisco 2611XM Multiservice Router provides a 1-network module slot platform with 2 fixed 10/100BaseT Ethernet port(s), 2 integrated WIC slots, and 1 Advanced Integration Module (AIM) slot, with performance up to 20Kpps.", when it says 20kpps, does that indicate the upload speed?

I'd look at something else if I knew it was going to be stable for 10 years+(aka, I can't be resetting it once a week like wireless crap ^_~)

I would recomend Zyxel's Zywall. I have no direct experience with them, however i know of people who do, and they absolutely love them. If you are buying Cisco's, they are in the same price range. Also check out a Firebox. Those are all great choices.

yeah Zyxel is good stuff, dual wan's and all

their cheaper stuff is great also, uses the intel procs, 425mhz mips stuff, almost beats out anything in the price range

though why don't you try something cheaper first and then upgrade later?

e.g. asus sl1000

i'm using one and its a bit fidgety on opening more ports, but otherwise its got 25 vpns and 80m VPN throughput (10/100m on all ports, console too)

_

okay, hasta be able to VPN between multiple locations with extreme security, have gigabit uplinks(well, 2, one for up, one for down...) 'n use 10/100's on the ports. I think cisco would be best, but I just can't find one...)o, 'n we're using a t1 for internet at the moment, any ideas?

The large installs I’ve seen have all used VPN clusters (Cisco 3000 concentrators usually) to give redundancy and balance, instead of going for a single high bandwidth VPN. If you’re set on gig speeds then look at the Cisco the 3600 or 7xxx series “multiservice platform” routers. You can add modules for various services and they support gig as well. They’re pricy though and I honestly wouldn’t worry about gig VPN unless your internet access is likely to go OC3 or better anytime soon and you need to support hundreds of simultaneous users. And if you’re expanding your internet bandwidth to that scale, the cost of a larger VPN will be the least of your expenses. ;)

when it says 20kpps, does that indicate the upload speed?

“kpps” stands for kilo packets (not bits or bytes, whole packets) per second, or 20,000 packets per second for this router which roughly comes in at 30 mbyte sustained throughput.

Good luck!

Back