• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a lappy under $1,500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n0aH

Hye guys, so im going to college soon, and my parents said they would buy me a laptop for graduation...so i was wondering if you guys had any ideas of where or what i could get for that?

Thanx
n0ah

n0aH said:
Hye guys, so im going to college soon, and my parents said they would buy me a laptop for graduation...so i was wondering if you guys had any ideas of where or what i could get for that?

Thanx
n0ah

I do know that Dell has a 20% off coupon out right now... expires the 15th i think. My sister bought a 1505 for 1464$ after the coupon... free shipping on anything over 1000$

Here are the specs she had:

Free upgrade to Home Premium Vista
Intel Core 2 Duo 5600 ( 1.86/2M/667fsb)
2 gigs of ram
WXGA+ Ultrasharp truelife display
80 gig HD
256 Meg ATI x1400 Video
3 year warranty
PC cillin suite 15 month
Intel wireless card 3945a/g

and i tossed a wireless router in there too, but I would probably check with the university policies on wireless internet before splurging on one.

plus consumer reports just gave dell a top pick for there laptops. look in the sscratch and dent area at dell some good deals there

big fan of the thinkpad. And the new lenovo thinkpads are just as good as the old legendary ones. Stay away from the lenovo 3000 line though. When lenovo bought the thinkpad name they got all the engineers, except apple actually got the rest which turned out to be where more of the engineers went. ANYWAYS, i own the 12" x60 and am very pleased. Got it for 1200 bucks from ibm's recertified equipment because my dad works at ibm (yea i am probably a little biased from that) but this little thing has so many little things that make it one of the best. Drainage holes out the bottom so if you spill something in the keyboard you arent toast it just drains. It has an active protection system for the hdd so if it thinks it is being dropped the drive head moves to park so that the impact doesnt make you lose data. They are built to withstand 3 ft drops (desk or table height). I have the 8cell battery in this thing and i can eek out 9 hours of typing on it. Web surfing and stuff like that, 5 hours or so. To you i will recommend the T60. Make sure to get the WXGA screen as it has a good res and you should be able to get a pretty good vid card with it too. Best of luck to you

ThinkPad T60 Series - 1 Year Carry-in Warranty

Description Part number Unit price* Quantity Price*
ThinkPad T60 Series - 1 Year Carry-in Warranty
Edit 8743CTO $1,383.00 1 $1,383.00
Integrated WiFi wireless LAN: Integrated Wi-Fi Wireless a/b/g antenna 1
Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth PAN 1
Processor: Intel� Core" 2 Duo processor T5500 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2, 667MHz FSB) 1
Operating system: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 1
Operating system language: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium US English 1
Display type: 15.4 WSXGA+ TFT 1
System graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 128MB 1
Total memory: 512 MB PC2-5300 SDRAM DDR2 667MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM) 1
Keyboard: Keyboard US English � 1
Pointing device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) 1
Hard drive: 60GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm 1
Ethernet: Integrated 1Gb Ethernet 1
Wireless cards: ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ 1
Battery: 9 cell Li-Ion Battery 1
Power cord: Country Pack North America 1
Modem cable (RJ-11): PSTN cable 1
Language pack: Language Pack US English 1

TheCheat said:
I do know that Dell has a 20% off coupon out right now... expires the 15th i think. My sister bought a 1505 for 1464$ after the coupon... free shipping on anything over 1000$

Here are the specs she had:

Free upgrade to Home Premium Vista
Intel Core 2 Duo 5600 ( 1.86/2M/667fsb)
2 gigs of ram
WXGA+ Ultrasharp truelife display
80 gig HD
256 Meg ATI x1400 Video
3 year warranty
PC cillin suite 15 month
Intel wireless card 3945a/g

and i tossed a wireless router in there too, but I would probably check with the university policies on wireless internet before splurging on one.
Quite similar to mine, cept mine has a 120GB hdd and only 1GB ram. I think my chip is only 1.66Ghz though. Cost me bout $1400 before taxes. Unfortunately I didnt have the advantage of the 20% off.

I've got a Dell myself. You can find some pretty sick deals if you google up some Dell coupons. I bought my E1505 and ended up getting several hundred dollars off. Just configure what system you want and try mixing random coupon codes at the end. Some offerings let you stack coupons, and some dont. If youre patient, you can find signifigant savings.

I can attest to the T60 if its in your price range. Its an enterprise business class system and you should expect better performance than the consumer targeted systems I linked you to earlier. We have hundreds deployed where I work and they've been pretty good systems so far.

I'm not sure how good the support will be - when Lenovo took over the service we receive is markably worse. Specifically, if a part goes bad and needs replaced we never used to have a problem getting next day on site service which is part of our contract. Now with Lenovo, they always tell us the part is not in stock and we have to wait days for someone to show up. Not a big deal for a home system, but its a pain when you depend on your system to do your job.

<<<<look at avatar...

If you want Small and yet still powerful you should look into dell XPS1210

I <3 my 1210

Dell scratch and dent is amazing... I'm still trying to find the scratch/dent on my laptop, it's in pristine condition :confused: ;) :D

I got dell e1405 with low spec for $700. It does pretty good job at functioning. The part about this lappy is wxga screen with res 1440x900. Even though it is 14 inch it feels like 15, and it is much better than my previous 14".

I picked up an HP dv9220 for $1500.

t5200 c2d
2x1gb ddr 2
160gb worth of HD space
Vista home premium
17" 1440x900 w/briteview
built in webcam
7600go w/256mb dedicated

This thing is AMAZING, handles any game out very well. It even plays Vanguard at about 30fps on average which is really good considering that is a very very demanding game.

Im leaning towards a dell right now... but im not gonna be getting it till the end of May, so prices should go down hopefully :)

I have been leaning toward a hp.

I found that I can customize a dv6000t on their site with:

Vista Premium
Intel Core 2 duo 2.0ghz
Geforce 7400 go 256 mb
2x1gb memory
80 gb hd
DVD-Burner

For a nice price of $1,268.99

On the dell site i did a very similar customization and it was over $1500

IMO...I would go with hp because you saving a couple hundred and hp has always been very reliable for me

I just picked up one of these the other day. IMHO one of the best values on the web now. Core2 duo, 1GB RAM, tablet, Vista Business, tons of features, ultra light, 3.5 hours on stock battery and Toshiba's well-known reliability all at a very low cost.

A small, lightweight, but very powerful unit will be much easier to carry around campus. Consider too, that a tablet is the ideal college PC, since many professors these days allow only tablet PCs into lectures. This is due to the fact that the tapa-tapa-tap of a thousand keyboards can be very distracting. Also, tablet PCs have a great deal of versatility and practicality unavailable in their notebook bretheren.

check out the clevo hel80 (also known as sager 2080, powerpro 8:20 and some other names) on powernotebooks.com. I'll be ordering one in a few weeks.

Ok, so i set up what i think is a VERY nice lappy for $1,502 on the dell website. My only question is, can i buy from the small bussiness website of dell if i dont have a bussiness, and what are the cons of doing that?

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ Ultimate edit
LCD PANEL 15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WXGA+ Display with TrueLife™ edit
MEMORY 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM edit
HARD DRIVE 120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability edit
VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7300 TurboCache* edit
WI-FI WIRELESS CARD Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless edit
BLUETOOTH WIRELESS Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate) edit
SOUND OPTION Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition edit
MEDIA DIRECT Media Direct 3.0 edit
Accessories
BATTERIES 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
Software
PRODUCTIVITY No productivity suite- Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD edit
SECURITY McAfee Security Center 30-day trial edit
Service
WARRANTY & SERVICE 1 Year On-site Economy Plan edit
DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS 6 Months of America Online Membership Included edit
PURCHASE INTENT Purchase is not intended for resale. edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Miscellaneous Inspiron 6400
Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor
Labels Windows Vista™ Premium
A/C ADAPTER Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
Digital Imaging Corel Snapfire Basic - Organize and Edit your photos