• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a little help..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zmogus

Registered
Hi guys.

Haven't been posting on these forums for a long time.. And i would like to ask you for some help... I am considering to make a WC or Phase change system.or some other type of cooling system that can keep my temps very low.However i don't have enough skills or knowleadge about it.. So it would be very nice if u guys could give me some LINKS to read about this info.. :)

The links should be about "How to make ur own phase change system":)

Sorry for the overpolitness :p

Thanks.

Z.

alright well here's what you need at the bare minimum

tools:
tubing cutter
guages
torch
brazing rods
swaging tool
vaccum pump

equipment:
compressor /w capacitor
evaporator block
condensor
flex hose
capilary tubing
copper tubing
schraeder valves
fan
insulation

once you get all of that you need to know how to braze so you can bend everything in the correct orientation and get it assembled. then you have to vaccum the system and check for leaks, and assuming there aren't any you have to fill with gas and tune it. for gas you can use propane or r22 but the better performing stuff is hard to get. finding a suitable compressor is either expensive or involves trips to the dump. evaporator blocks are also expensive or take a lot of work to make, and then you have to devise your mounting system. there's a lot more but this has probably discouraged you enough.

not knowing exactly what you're doing\not having experience with phase change, may i recommend going with a peltier solution.

Takes the some extra power but to power a TEC rather than a compressor unit, below ambient temps "oo baby", easier to maintain... (typical watercooling maintenance). Insulation, mounting, and all that are virtually the same except you don't have to insulate the entire tube, just the socket and block area. Post a few more times and the classifieds would be a good place to get your gear *wink wink*

Lastly, it's all together a lot cheaper ($200 maybe) vs $500 for sure!

crimedog said:
alright well here's what you need at the bare minimum

tools:
tubing cutter
guages
torch
brazing rods
swaging tool
vaccum pump

equipment:
compressor /w capacitor
evaporator block
condensor
flex hose
capilary tubing
copper tubing
schraeder valves
fan
insulation

once you get all of that you need to know how to braze so you can bend everything in the correct orientation and get it assembled. then you have to vaccum the system and check for leaks, and assuming there aren't any you have to fill with gas and tune it. for gas you can use propane or r22 but the better performing stuff is hard to get. finding a suitable compressor is either expensive or involves trips to the dump. evaporator blocks are also expensive or take a lot of work to make, and then you have to devise your mounting system. there's a lot more but this has probably discouraged you enough.

Yeah,ok dude.. i see what u mean.

I'm surely no pro in this.. but u have answered my question quite nicely.Thank u for that. :)

And yes i have looked into the Pielter technology.. It's when u stick that plate between the Die and heatsink and it works in some sort of termalelectric way.. One side is hot and the other is kept as cool as posible and then the particles from the cold part effect the hot part where the die is and it gets cold :D RIGHT?

Trying to be funny there :) but for real. For the pielter to wort at max i need to keep it watercooled right?Plus it consumes a lot of Watts. And thats a big bumer!

Ok.. i have a few ideas that i've been reading here in overclockers.com. And i kinda liked the Chilled water cooling.

Ok guys what do u suggest?I'm still very new to this non-air cooling and would like to find a performance vs easy to asemble\make vs $$$...

I talk a lot i know........ :rolleyes:

Also making a waterchiller would be a great start for you to learn how a direct die cooling system works. You could study the chiller identify all the parts, etc etc.

Also if you do ever decide to try to make your own DD system you already have most of the parts in the old A/C unit that you need to make your DD system.

ooo, waterchiller, excellent step. you had peltiers mostly right, there's a cold plate between the cold side and die, but yeah. It does consume a lot of watts but it doesn't make noise like a compressor and all you'd really need is a PSU designed for it *cough* classifieds *cough* or a PC PSU with 22a+ on the 12V line. you could also hook up all ur fans, pump relay, etc. to that PSU and make it all nice and power controlled from one switch there.

In the end, I think a waterchiller would be ur safest bet, not really risking damaging your stuff with one of those..... did i mention waterchillers can also be done with peltiers, HAAHAHHHAHAHA~!

Back