• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a new fan for my Megahelm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

temperedcore

Registered
My Yate Loon is starting to squeal and annoy the **** out me. It's sitting horizontally (push) on my Megahelm and from what I can gather sleeve bearings don't hold up mounted like that. So in my hunt for a suitable replacement I started looking at the the GT 120's and then the Noctua & TY 140's. Now I can't decide.

Anyone ever run either of those 140's on a Megahelm? I really like the TY-140 given the price compared to the NF-P14 FLX. Thoughts???

Also since I'm ordering up I'm considering going Push/Pull and replacing my top exhaust too.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9...and_120mm_Fan_Mount_Holes_7509001200_RPM.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...00R1300PM_Standard_120mm_Fan_Mount.html#blank

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._-_1450_RPM_D1225C12B4AP-14.html?tl=g36c15s60

Attachments

• computer photo.jpg
    computer photo.jpg
    871.3 KB · Views: 288
TY-140's are the best 140mm fans made. They are PWM and their broad blades give them excellent static pressure.

The problem comes when you go to mount 140mm fans on the Megahalems. Those two spring-loaded mounting screws on your Megatron will cause any 140mm fan to be held away from your motherboard.

The screws for other Prolimatech heatsinks are shorter, and fit into sockets of the pressure bar. I have an Armageddon that operates this way. When I go to test my Megahalems with 140mm fans I will use the mounting bar and mounting screws from the Armageddon.

I just checked the Megahalems Rev C. It has the short screws, so it can accommodate 140mm fans. You should check yours.

Good point! I hadn't even considered the mounting screws. A quick look at them tells me there is maybe 1/8 inch clearance between my 120 and the top of the screw. If I went with the TY-140's I think I could get closer to the screw but it may end up hanging a little over the top of the heatsink. I would still have more surface area covered by the fans though I believe. The TY-140 will fit in the 120 groves on the Megahelms right?

How could a 140mm fan fit inside grooves designed for a 120mm fan? Have a think about it for a second :D

I don't know why you want 140mm fans for a 120mm cooler... Gentle Typhoons or S-Flex will net you much better performance than two TY-140s, and they will be quieter too. I have two TY-140s which I use as roof exhaust fans and I always keep them at about 50% speed because they just annoy me if they are louder than that... they ain't loud, but they move so much air it is very obvious when they are turned up.

YA IDK I guess I was hoping since they had 120 mounting holes that it would fit but after careful consideration I see your point lol ;)

Well I guess that leaves me with the GT then. Thanks for the reality check Lenny :thup:

I've just bought two 1850rpm Gentle Typhoons to use in push/pull on my TRUE and I think they'll get here on Friday. If you want to wait until then, I can let you know how GTs perform at different speeds and single vs. dual configuration, and how they compare to single fans. GTs might be very nice but there are other extremely nice fans out there. ;)

Any 140mm fan with 120mm screw holes will fit comfortably with Megahalems fan clips. I keep extra clips because they fit fans to the NH-D14.

I just had an email conversation with the folks at FrozenCPU, who in turn had a conversation with the folks at Prolimatech. It turns out that the crossbar with recessed screwholes and the short screws both come with the "Prolimatech AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 Armageddon / Megahalems / Super Mega Retention Mount Adapter Kit (ARM-02)."

cpu-pro-16.jpg

I ordered one, so we'll see if it's the same as the Armageddon mounting gear.

Back