• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a new PSU for my system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EzekielStyles

Registered
My system is as follows:

CPU: core i7 [email protected]
GPU: ASUS HD7950-DC2-3GD5-V2 Radeon HD 7950 (2x) crossfired
RAM: Patriot Viper 3 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
SSD: Corsair Neutron Series GTX 2.5" 240GB SATA III (2x)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 1TB (1x), 1.5TB (2x)
MB: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
Wireless: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless (PCIe)
DVD: Samsung (1x)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

I am trying to find a psu that will work with this system but am having a hard time determining what psu will have the ports I need and handle it well. I am getting some pretty significantly different wattages recommended by different calculators.

Price is no issue, prefer Platinum certified. Modular or full modular. Was looking for individually powered +12v rails but it seems hard information to find. Any input is appreciated. :)

First off, let me state that is one very decent setup you've there! good job!

Now on to the question :p;
I'm thinking for you a decent Seasonic PSU would be good, they're a good company, and they make Corsairs PSUs :D
so here check out there website at;
http://www.seasonicusa.com/index.html

I recommend a Platinum series 860 so you can power that build! :D

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I will be going with a Seasonic Platinum as recommended by DarrenP. Thanks again. :)

You cant go wrong with a POWMAX psu.....The cheaper the better!

Review title: best power supply ever

Pros: This power supply owns your face off. Every once in a while it shoots flames out the back grill. The first time my friends saw it happen they were like, "whoa you rule!" One time I was at a LAN party and totally owning fools playing CSS. I got a rad headshot and this PSU started smoking and i was like this is satans power supply! at that point i knew i was in love with it. I tested the 12v line and it was putting out 15V, how sweet is that??? thats like 3 extra volts of pure power, which is I'm sure is totaly upping my megahurts. Oh yeah and at least once a day this thing will make rad noise like an electric guitar wailing. If your hardcore, this PSU is for you.

Cons: None at all. this thing weighs only like 1/2 pound so your LAN rig is way easy to carry. I cant even believe how sweet this thing is.

On a serious note....

I heard the Corsair HX series are nice.My next purchase :)

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I will be going with a Seasonic Platinum as recommended by DarrenP. Thanks again. :)

Doesn't really get better than this for those requirements: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151121

If you're planning to OC like WHOA with Lots of Voltage, maybe the 760w version.
Go with BoBN's advice. 860W is overkill, even with overclocking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m1132X509988Xd02f721b9cc98959c3b14b2e34966120

Let me put it this way, with a 3770K @ 5Ghz (1.4v) and 2 7970's at 1280/1800 (1.35v/1.575v) I pulled 735W peak at the wall (average around 690). I also have a Platinum efficiency PSU so 90% of 735 = ~660W. Those are not 24/7 clocks and that is the 'whoa lots of voltage' BobN was talking about.

Just FYI, Seasonic doesn't make all Corsair PSUs as stated earlier... they only make a handful now. They used to make all the HX series, but the newer HX's are actually made by CWT. I almost bought an HX750 to replace my old HX520w, but I heard it wasn't made by Seasonic and some had fan issues, so I bought a Seasonic X at a really great deal.

I personally would pocket the $43 and go with a Seasonic X 650 80 PLUS GOLD vs the SS-660XP. I don't know why you'd pay an extra 37% for the Platinum.

X 650 80 PLUS GOLD @ $120: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

@ Wipeout :clap: haha powmax it is!

@ EarthDog: The reason I figured I'd go with the 860 is I may upgrade some components down the line and it won't hurt to have the extra power available. :thup:

@ Caviman2201: I don't mind spending a little extra. :comp:

Haha thanks guys :)

Back