• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on LAN Games to play....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Halo's always an awesome choince for lans. My buds and I usually play:

UT2k4
Halo (if I can con any poor suckers into getting pwnt by me :D)
Rise of Nations
WH40k Dawn of War (very popular lately)
Desert Combat mod (good w/ bots on CQB maps)

I've been working on getting some COD action and some Counter Strike: Source going too. W/ four guys, just stick to smaller maps, and use bots to fill in the gaps. ;)

Halo 2v2s are fun, you could also do Dogfights in BF or any of its mods. Also Rome Total War 2v2s might be worth trying out.

Strategy games are great with 4-players. Age of mythology, Warcraft are just some. Also, Starcraft has a easy learning curve.

Ace

Downloaded Counterstrike source on two of the four computers since I had two ATI Coupons. Great game, too bad I can only put it on two out of the four computers though. Ended up playing Ghost Recon with it's X packs. I loved Command and Conquer Generals and have Zero Hour also, but I can never to get it to run smoothly on a LAN. It always stutters and freezes every three seconds or so and is not playable. I would think the computer in my sig would have plenty of power to run it. I also downloaded half life 2 and am eagerly awaiting it's release date now. Thanks to all for suggestions.

How is Counter-Strike: Source? Is it any different from actual Counter-Strike besides the graphic engine?

Ace

For some people vs. bots, I've been recommended Star Wars Battlefront. Is it worth keeping on the hard drive? No, I think not. But it serves its purpose by being a LAN-optimized game.

I can't really answer your question Top Ace since I never really played the original counter strike. I can tell you that the graphics are a lot better from what I've seen and the gameplay is a blast. It's a lot quicker paced than games I'm used to like Ghost Recon and even Desert Combat.

I actually have Star Wars Battlefront Schalldampfer, but just am not impressed with it. Hopefully it'll get a patch or two down the road to make it more worthwhile.

Star Wars Battlefront gets really repetetive. And after playing Far Cry for a while, it becomes a child's plaything; the graphics aren't too good, and the FPS elements are missing in SW BF. But for a quick LAN game, I think it'll suffice.

its always RTS for my group - starcraft will play on anyone's compy, and you can work your way up from there - i like AOE2 personnally since its easy to teach

Back