• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on some upgrades to my PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bonepants

BUILD:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Hey guys,

I am a newbie around here but hope to become good friends :) .This is my current build right now and I am looking to upgrade it.

What would you guys recommend? Reason I am upgrading is because I am going to be getting a new better monitor set up and I know it will tax my baby so I wanted t upgrade it a bit.

I got a substantial bonus from work recently so budget is flexible. Right now I am using a Dell U2913WM 29" 1440p 60hz (OCed to 80~) and a 24" 1080p 5 ms LG. I will most probably be upgrading to a 3 x 24" or a 27" Korean IPS or some sort of mixture of these.

Any help is appreciated, :clap:

You should be able to overclock that 3570K to at least 4.2Ghz easy. That setup of yours is more than capable to run any monitor you use.

If you want to upgrade over the need to upgrade, then I would just upgrade the video card. Going to a triple monitor setup will tax the Vram on your current card, so choose a video card with more Vram.

A larger/current SSD will speed things up as well.

I have the 7970 WF3 edition clocked @ 1100/1500 on a 40" and evrything maxed out and my card doesn't even flinch :thup:

BTW before I got my current setup (sig) I had a 3570K delidded and clocked to 4.5Ghz with 1.32v.

You should be able to overclock that 3570K to at least 4.2Ghz easy. That setup of yours is more than capable to run any monitor you use.

If you want to upgrade over the need to upgrade, then I would just upgrade the video card. Going to a triple monitor setup will tax the Vram on your current card, so choose a video card with more Vram.

A larger/current SSD will speed things up as well.

I have the 7970 WF3 edition clocked @ 1100/1500 on a 40" and evrything maxed out and my card doesn't even flinch :thup:

BTW before I got my current setup (sig) I had a 3570K delidded and clocked to 4.5Ghz with 1.32v.

I had bought the CPU with the intention of OCing it and it def a WANT to upgrade not need.

I am right now scouring various Trading posts for a 7970 as I went to crossfire.

Assuming you are a gamer, I'd sell the 7970 and get either a 780ti or a 290X.

THese cards are roughly 30% faster than a 7970@stock, and should play almost everything maxed out@1440p.

And you would avoid the multi GPU hassle...

I think the best upgrade is the graphics card, and as nebulous said, maybe another SSD if you want more SSD storage.

Your current GPU has 3GB of VRAM, and for triple monitor gaming you're going to want at least 4GB I'd say.

The 290x cards are 4GB, and the 780ti has 3GB & 6GB offerings, obviously you'd want to shoot for the 6GB cards if you got a 780ti.

I agree with most of the above. Since this is your current rig you will see the best gains from upgrading the video card. The one you have is no slouch and unless you do go to a tri monitor set up your gains would be slight. Generally speaking a single top end card is better than crossfire older cards, but that depends on the cards of course.

In the welcome mat I mentioned your ram and PSU. I was assuming this was a new build. The PSU you have is overkill, but that's alright. You already have it. I don't expect your ram to OC very well. I was only able to get mine to 1660 from 1600 base. That's pretty terrible. So you might want to consider replacing those later down the road with some 1866 and a model that OC's well.

Assuming you are a gamer, I'd sell the 7970 and get either a 780ti or a 290X.

THese cards are roughly 30% faster than a 7970@stock, and should play almost everything maxed out@1440p.

And you would avoid the multi GPU hassle...

I think the best upgrade is the graphics card, and as nebulous said, maybe another SSD if you want more SSD storage.

Your current GPU has 3GB of VRAM, and for triple monitor gaming you're going to want at least 4GB I'd say.

The 290x cards are 4GB, and the 780ti has 3GB & 6GB offerings, obviously you'd want to shoot for the 6GB cards if you got a 780ti.

I agree with most of the above. Since this is your current rig you will see the best gains from upgrading the video card. The one you have is no slouch and unless you do go to a tri monitor set up your gains would be slight. Generally speaking a single top end card is better than crossfire older cards, but that depends on the cards of course.

In the welcome mat I mentioned your ram and PSU. I was assuming this was a new build. The PSU you have is overkill, but that's alright. You already have it. I don't expect your ram to OC very well. I was only able to get mine to 1660 from 1600 base. That's pretty terrible. So you might want to consider replacing those later down the road with some 1866 and a model that OC's well.

I honestly had NO idea that having 1 good card is better than crossfiring 2 older haha. This is why I come here! Thanks!

Looks like then I will add some RAM and a 780ti. I already have a 256 GB SSD in the mail right now.

Il post an updated part picker list when I am at home.

EDIT: About the PSU...The only reason why I have such an overkill is because I had gone to a local store to try and PM some items for me. They PMd my CPU and gave me the case and PSU for 60% off just because they needed to get rid off it. So I took it. I initially had R4 case and a 650 W PSU.

Last edited:
Back