• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on upgrading motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blado22

Registered
I currently have an AMD 1075t overclocked to 3.7 GHz paired with an Gigabyte 870a-ud3. unfortunately the 1075t just doesn't cut it anymore for me, as I play a lot of total war games. I plan on buying a new CPU and Motherboard now, and upgrading my video card when the AMD 8000/Nvidia 700 series comes out. I'm currently using an AMD 6950 2GB, so I'm not in a huge rush to upgrade it. I'm planning on buying the 3570K, and I've been reading this guy's thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729538 for recommendations on motherboards. My question is: What's a good guide on replacing a motherboard, as I have never done it, and are there certain motherboards that are more user friendly when it comes to installing over a previous motherboard? Also, will replacing a Gigabyte with a Gigabyte result in an easier installation? Thanks for any help! Also, I have around $320-350 available for this project. Thanks for any help! :)

Installation of windows? You are really going to want to reinstall from scratch, especially when moving from amd to Intel. Its the chipsets that matter the most really.

I still have a windows 7 installation disk, and the CD key is still on the side of my computer. Am I going to need to wipe my hard drive or anything? Also, would I have to go through this process if I were to switch from an AM3 to an AM3+ CPU?

A windows installation will wipe out your current install, yes.

You should go through a fresh reinstall. Sometimes it works staying in the same CHIPSET. sometimes it doesn't. It always best to do a fresh install.

Alright, thanks. Do you know of a good tutorial on replacing the motherboard? Also, are the motherboards suggested in the thread I linked good?

Back