• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Advice & Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

I'm looking for a new laptop for myself.

1. Is it better to go with i5 or i7?
2. How much memory is enough for laptops?

This isn't really for gaming as you can see I have a pretty nice desktop (see sig.). This is more for portability, speed, video, homework etc.

The gamer in me is tempted to go with the ASUS G73 but it seems pretty expensive.

Suggestions?

While I can't suggest a laptop, because for one I'm biased towards Alienware. Not a fan of the price tag, so I'll get 'em cheap and install my CPU, SSDs ect.

But for you needs, 4GB should be plenty. Unless your doing some heavy multitasking, or RAM intesive programs like AutoCAD, Photoshop ect you shouldn't need more than 4GB for homework,video, music, ect.

As far as i5 or i7, it depends. If you need more processing power obviosly the i7, but like you said, you have a nice desktop for the heavy lifting.

I honestly suggest you not get an i7 or i5 laptop as you have a solid build, this is for portability and you aren't bringing the laptop anywhere if you get either an i7 or i5. The battery will just drain instantly, go for a 12.1-14" dual core.

Back