• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice to buy Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OSFP

Well, basically I want a laptop that can play games and be able to upgrade later.
I don't want something very expensive, around 1000-1200 euros.
For the screen, a 15.4" widescreen will suffice, but here comes the first problem. I can't find a way to compare the screens of the various manufacturers...They only list the max resolution which doesnt say much...I am satisfied with 1024x768(or whatever is the equivalent in widescreen), but I am worried about the responsiveness of the panel, something I can't see to compare...noone lists response times on these TFTs used in laptops...

For the CPU I would prefer an Athlon64, something low, like 3000+ as it is sufficient for gaming and the video card matters more... I don't mind it being an Intel, for example a 3.2 prescott would be fine...but not a Dothan since they are ridiculusly expensive or slow... (2.0 - 2.1 dothan very good but too expensive, 1.6-1.8 just good but prescott 3.0+ is better anyway plus HT for the same price...).

Now the video card is a major issue. Basically the way I see it, here is where the laptops are still behind desktops in performance.... Big steps have been made in the last year (8 pipelines mobility9800 and the new 12pipelines from both ati and nvidia) but its still behind and cant even put out half the speed of a SLI system in desktop.
Good thing is I don't need a mobile powerhouse...I only need to be able to play World of Warcraft which isn't very gpu intensive... in my desktop (barton 2500+ and radeon 9700pro) I could play perfectly with all settings maxed. Being a MMORPG it mostly needs a lot of RAM, which won't be a problem as long as the laptop is able to take up to 2Gb... I will start with 1Gb and maybe add more later. Now I don't know if a mobility radeon 9700 pro will be enough. Compared to desktop GPUs its more or less an 9600 pro (same pipelines(4) and 50 more in core speed, 50 less in memory speed so about hte same, maybe marginally better because core speed matters a little more than memory speed).I don't have any experience with WoW running on 9600pros, but I surely know the 9600 pro is very inferior to my 9700pro...sometimes about half the performance...So I don't know if mobility 9700pro will be enough. Now lets see the other options here :
1) the 12 pipe cards are very expensive, hard to find and really more than I need....so no point in getting one.
2) Mobility 9800 pro is more or less a desktop radeon 9700 pro, and a little better than it...This seems ideal, since combined with a better CPU than my barton 2500+, it will give better 3D performance than my current desktop so surely enough for my needs...

So I'd take the 9800 pro, but I can't find any laptop in europe using it right now....everyone is on the 9700 wagon....any help with that?
What about the mobile

Hard discs, optical drives etc...are unimportant since most manufactureres offer a wider variety.

And we come to the last point... UPGRADEABILITY!
I hear the new PCIx cards are somewhat upgradeable, by other PCIx cards. So getting a mobility radeon X800 you are somewhat futureprooff...
However this means you must get a PCIx DDR2 laptop which only Intel offers and is expensive (not to mention the x800 card's big cost...). And still it's not sure to be able to upgrade it, sicne they might some up with a new design or something.... I remember mobility radeon 9600 pros were the first to be supposedly able to be upgraded but I didn't see any such plan later on...

To sum up, I would like any links on laptops with mobility 9800 since I can't find any (only dell inspiron XPS which uses intel extreme edition and is ridiculusly expensive, no thx). I would like to hear your opinions on the TFT screens and how can I be sure it will be good for gaming (or how to compare between them) and if anyone has any experience with WoW in machines with mobility 9700 kind of performance (like desktop 9600 pro) how did it play (remember, resolution 1024x768)?
Last but not least, what's your opinion of upgradeability? Is a mobility 9800 upgradeable? Only the new 12pipe cards are?

I know I ask for a lot....I thank you in advance!

I could only find powerbook G4 (Mac) laptops with a 9700 or 9800 using yahoo product search. On eBay I did a search in laptops for 9800 and 9700 and came back with some decent results. Many of them are refurbs but the seller's good so I'd trust them.

I'm doubting you'll find a retail laptop with the features you want for what you're willing to pay.

The Dell 9200 has a 9700 Pro Mobility and the XPS has a 9800 in it. Both have very nice screens ( I have a 8600 with a 9600 Pro and I can play Half Life 2 and UT just fine) and the XPS uses DDR400, maybe DC as well. As for upgradeablility...... you might look into Alienware because one of their lappie's can use desktop vidcards but I have to leave soon so you'll have to do that search. Sager and Voodoo are also good companies.

I wouldn't worry too much about the screen. I have a WSXGA+ at 1650*1050 (15.4") and it works great. I worried about the responce time as well but my UT "skills" lol haven't been affected by anything but the fact that the fps drop a bit low sometimes at a higher res. especially when you have 20 all firing at the same time in rapid fire...... that kills even my 9800 Pro in my desktop sometimes. But yeah, any of those choices would be great. The Alienware is definitely going to be the most expensive though and will use a Prescott I believe. The Sager will have a A64 option and the XPS uses a Presshott as well but you'll have to look that up.

try waiting for the new aliviso chipset to come out (i think it comes out jan 18). dell 9300 would probably suit you good, or whatever sager comes out with by then

I don't see why the Aliviso chipset will solve my problems....it will only enable Centrino boards to use PCI-X cards...but that has nothing to do with what I want. After all I don't like centrino anyway because of its cost and I don't care about battery life at all...

The market in my country (Greece) is crowded with mobility9700pro notebooks. I can get anything I want with this card, Athlon64, prescott or centrino....and with any screen size...And of course its the cheapest way to go...something important for me.

But the 2 problems are that I don't know if the card will be enough for my needs. I don't know if it can run WoW flawlessly at 1024x768. If it can, then ok I get it and end of story. But if it can't then we reach the second problem which is that it does not offer upgradeability....and I am stuck with this notebook that does not satisfy me forever (or I lose lots of money selling it).

So I would like a notebook with an 8pipeline card to be sure...
Now the thing is that the only 8 pipeline card out there right now, is the mobility9800, and this card is practically only in the Dell XPS system which is very expensive (and maybe not even available in my country). It's so expensive that I could just buy a 12pipe card notebook monster for the same money...

Now, maybe the solution is with a 4 pipeline card that is upgradeable...
I think the mobility X600 fits this description....It has similar performance to mobility9700, but it uses AXIOM so it can be upgraded....so if I am not satisfied I would put an x800 pro later this year....

Can you find any laptops using the X600?
Does nvidia have anything upgradeable with 4-8 pipelines out there that maybe solves my problems?

you are putting WAY to much thought into this.

a mobility 9700 plays wow just fine.your more likely to run into a bottleneck with a slow hd or not enough ram.

i have an acer 4501wlmi
1.5 pentium m
512mb ddr400
40gb 4200rpm hd
mobility 9700

with this setup i play wow all the time. the only lag i get is in ironforge which happens on every computer desktop or laptop.

twump said:
you are putting WAY to much thought into this.

a mobility 9700 plays wow just fine.your more likely to run into a bottleneck with a slow hd or not enough ram.

i have an acer 4501wlmi
1.5 pentium m
512mb ddr400
40gb 4200rpm hd
mobility 9700

with this setup i play wow all the time. the only lag i get is in ironforge which happens on every computer desktop or laptop.

Thanks a lot, you are really the person I need information from. Can you tell me at which resolution do you play and with what graphic settings? Are they all maxed? Does the game run really flawlessly, or it just suits your needs? I dont mind a little lag in the auction house in big cities and stuff....because I know I can't avoid that whatever the machine I got... But I would be a little disappointed if it lags in big raids with big battles of 30 vs 30 people and stuff...because in PvP it really sux when you die due to lag and not because you played worse...

Give me some more information on your gameplay plz.
If it is really good, then I guess I found what I'm looking for and at a nice price.

get a pci express chipset that will guarentee future upgradeability

with the dell xps system i think i read somewhere that dell will send a guy to your house to up your vid card and or processor/ram/hd whenever the latest and greatest was available. i think i read that in the dell laptop fourms somewhere i'mnot 100% positive i read that right though.

Back