• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice with the following build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AkiraL

MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
CPU : i7 4790k
GPU : EVGA GTX980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
RAMS : Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600mhz
COOLING : Corsair Hydro Series H100i
STORAGE : Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
PSU : Corsair Professional Series 760 Watt
CHASSIS : Cooler master HAF X ( will use it from my old build since its pretty solid chassis to use )

what do u think guys about the build in general what will make this a 4-5 years strong gaming build keep it the same or change something , cheers.

You will likely have to upgrade the gpu by then...

Save some money on the psu and grab a evga supernova g2 750w for $120.

Since it's a gaming build, just get the 4690k and save 100$ from there as well. If you won't be overclocking get a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO(you save A LOT of money), if you'll be overclocking get a Noctua NH-D14(same price, better perfomance).

If you won't be overclocking, why spend money on an aftermerket cooler in the first place? Or a "k" chip? ;)

i will be overclocking ofc aswell otherwise why get k as u said , Noctua NH-D14 is like 50 bucks less and from my pov ugly as hell
about the psu ye thnx it's alot cheaper i got coolermaster v8 on my rig now so
about the i7 the new Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology i heard its gonna be used by some games in future
as i said i want it to last atleast 5 years maybe change gpu or add some rams ,
thnx alot for the feedback any new advice ? :)

i will be overclocking ofc aswell otherwise why get k as u said , Noctua NH-D14 is like 50 bucks less and from my pov ugly as hell
about the i7 the new Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology i heard its gonna be used by some games in future

i5's performance at games is equivalent to the i7's and the new Hyper thread is gonna be used in a really small amount of games which is not worth the 100+ $ in the price. Say u reach some decent overclock, it will be just fine in the future, the bottleneck of ur system is most commonly the GPU. Yea Noctua is kinda ugly but is 50$ cheaper and it will outperform the H100i.Hell, it even goes neck to neck with the H110. You need an AiO that costs around 200$ or a custom loop to be vastly superior of the Noctua. 8gb of Ram for gaming is just fine, u have twice the capacity there so you'll be more than fine for the period of time u want. From my point of view, just get the Noctua, add a Seagate 1TB if you don't have a big HDD already and enjoy :)

Hyper threading is not new. There were Pentium 4's with Hyper Threading.

Back