• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming PC build thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sammy970

Looking for a PC that can handle GTA and would be able to handle AAA games. Would this build be able to handle those games on high settings?
Case
CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 460X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS[emoji2400] TUF X470-PLUS GAMING (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON[emoji769] RX 5700 XT - HDMI, DP - DX[emoji2400]
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES[emoji769] SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS[emoji2400] GOLD, ULTRA QUIET Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 2018 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

The glaring deficiency there is the Corsair H60 Hydro. That will not be sufficient to cool a Ryzen7 3700X. The front panel of that case will accommodate a 360 AIO water cooler radiator and that is what I would go with, both from a cooling perspective and and aesthetic perspective. Most AIO water coolers have RGB these days if you are into that.

Not decided on a certain monitor but looking for a 1440 144hz

You are fine there at that res. I would at least recommend looking at 2TB SSD options since they are cheap nowdays, and if I was doing a new build right now I'd do full SSD setup. Though if the extra $100 is a bit much, you're still good with the build aside from needing a better cooling setup.

You are fine there at that res. I would at least recommend looking at 2TB SSD options since they are cheap nowdays, and if I was doing a new build right now I'd do full SSD setup. Though if the extra $100 is a bit much, you're still good with the build aside from needing a better cooling setup.

Yeah I’ve been looking at the Noctua NH-U14S. Been told that is good. Don’t know if it makes a difference but changing the case to a NZXT H500 case.

That would work, if you can fit the dual tower NH-D15S then I would suggest that. Or even better the full D15. A 360mm or 240mm CLC (AIO) would also work well. 240mm and 360mm tend to have similar performance, so get whatever fits with your case.

Even on stock settings, these CPUs benefit directly from improved cooling, and PBO doesn't always make a difference. I would regard those two articles as required reading (or watching if you prefer videos) for any 3rd gen ryzen builder.

While the NZXT is a fine case, it is not exactly a thermally oriented case. If I may suggest a mesh front case like the Cooler Master NR600 or Fractal Meshify C. I mention the NR600 because it's very similar to the NZXT aesthetically. Either of the two would require you to purchase additional fans for the best performance, or if you chose to use a liquid cooler, the cooler would include the intake fans and the stock fans could be relocated to exhaust.

The NR600 is a solid budget case, but it is a budget case. Buyers should be aware that the two 1200RPM fans aren’t the greatest, there are no drive sleds anywhere, the HDD cage is riveted in place, the filters are just squares of mesh, and whatever other caveats typically come with a $70 case. If all that’s acceptable, it’s a simple enclosure that’s easy to build in and has exceptional airflow with some extra fans. Even stock, the thermal performance is acceptable. The strongest competition in this price range is the NZXT H500, which has a different look but worse airflow, and the Meshify C, which costs a little more and also needs fans added. The RL06 may also still be a competitor, but as it ages prices are creeping up.

Pretty much echo what these guys are saying. Your RAM has a low profile and should fit under a big cooler like the Noctua-D15. If not then the Noctua-15DS is the way to go. 5700XT will handle 1440p, 144Hz at high/ultra settings very well. Since you’re going with an AMD GPU, there’s no reason for G-Sync monitors and will be able to find one relatively cheap compared the G-Sync monitors. As for the case, NZXT has upgraded the 500 series; you may want to look at the 510 series. A case with a mesh front would allow better airflow. Whichever case you do go with, check for the cooler clearance. We always recommend SSD over HDD unless it’s higher TBs of storage. Good build.

Decided on the AOC AG241QX monitor. Thanks guys you’ve been a huge help [emoji1303]

Back