• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering The Following Components in my Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash1

Suggestions Please!!!

Processor i7-12700K

Cooler Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black, Dual-Tower CPU Cooler (140mm, Black)

MB ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi

NVMe Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 3D NAND NVMe M.2 Gaming SSD, up to 6600MB/s - CT2000P5PSSD8

Ram G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F5-6000J3636F16GA2-TZ5RK

OS Win11 Pro

Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid-tower

What do you all think?

Thanks as always for everyone's help!!!

Looks good to me. Basically a newer version of my 11700k build I run right now. What GPU?

One thing I'll add about the D15. I used that before I went to water and it works amazing. The only problem is the second fan may hit your ram so make sure you can fit your chosen ram. Mine hit even with my ram which I consider lower profile than most on the market these days. To fix it I bought a Noctua 120 Chromax black fan which fit perfect and matched the cooler properly. Here is a pic of it with the 120mm over the ram.

PXL_20210619_214104006.jpg

Looks good to me. Basically a newer version of my 11700k build I run right now. What GPU?

One thing I'll add about the D15. I used that before I went to water and it works amazing. The only problem is the second fan may hit your ram so make sure you can fit your chosen ram. Mine hit even with my ram which I consider lower profile than most on the market these days. To fix it I bought a Noctua 120 Chromax black fan which fit perfect and matched the cooler properly. Here is a pic of it with the 120mm over the ram.

View attachment 358781
Do you mean the Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black CPU Cooler with NA-HC3 chromax.Black.swap Heatsink Covers? That was my first choice glad to hear your suggestion.....there goes more $ :LOL:

GPU...Starting off with onboard i7 video.....I may use my old EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.....
Thoughts? Of course I may upgrade later....gotta let the bank account heal!

Thanks for the reply and great suggestion!

Looks good to me too. Surely someone can cut some dollars here or there (or add them), but solid.

What power supply? What video card?
GPU...Starting off with onboard i7 video.....I may use my old EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.....
Thoughts? Of course I may upgrade later....gotta let the bank account heal!

Damn.....P/S.....and I thougt my budget was just a little over...
I was thinking about the
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 Ga, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular, ECO Mode with Dbb Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-GA-0850-X1.....
Suggestions??

Thanks for the reply!

lol, too slow! :p

That PSU will be plenty for any single GPU system, so you're set.
It's early....just to confirm the EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 TI you said too slow....is it even worth using until I upgrade or just stay with the onboard video until I upgrade?

Sorry work up too early!
Post magically merged:

lol, too slow! :p

That PSU will be plenty for any single GPU system, so you're set.
Well, you won't be gaming with the integrated GPU... at least, nothing outside of web games.

.....power supply?
I don't play games....most intensive is video editing/rendering

Assuming this is a gaming build, We don't know what games you'll be playing but you could consider picking up a used GPU. There are tons of them on the market right now. Yes, many of them have been mined on but will/should work fine until you can save up enough for a proper one. Consider older cards like the RX 580, GTX 1660, or RTX 2060. You should be able to find one for ~$250-300 or less. Again, depending on the games and at what resolution you play, one of these cards may even be enough for your needs.

I don't play games....most intensive is video editing/rendering
If you're not gaming, than integrated is fine. You should be able to use the 1050 too. ;)

The too slow comment was in reference to the integrated gpu and gaming.....

Assuming this is a gaming build
He had another thread discussing the build, now a new thread for the build. People will have to start over, lol.

If you're not gaming, than integrated is fine. You should be able to use the 1050 too. ;)

The too slow comment was in reference to the integrated gpu and gaming.....

He had another thread discussing the build, now a new thread for the build. People will have to start over, lol.
Thanks to all.....Ordering/Bankrupting in progress!

I've made a change. I decided to go to 1TB vs 2TB (will add more later).
I was going to order the

Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 3D NAND NVMe M.2 Gaming SSD, up to 6600MB/s - CT2000P5PSSD8 but I wanted to change it to the 1TB but it's not available with a heat sink!?!?​

So instead I am thinking about the

SAMSUNG 980 PRO Heatsink M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 V6(12xL) V-NAND 3bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V8P1T0CW. A Perfect Fits for PS5/PC​

Neither are on the "compatible" list for the ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi.....suggestions? I'm still learning about NVMe....are there compatibility problems with NVMe and the ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi?

Thanks as always!

I didn't know there was a compatibility list for drives......... interesting.

Well, the primary location for M.2 storage is the top slot which already has a heatsink (you didn't need to change drive). You can put it in the second or third slot though if you insist.

Remember those compatibility lists just means they tested it to work. If it's not on the list, it could be incompatible or it wasn't tested. I find it hard to believe a M.2 module wouldn't work... it's not like RAM.

Last edited:
I didn't know there was a compatibility list for drives......... interesting.

Well, the primary location for M.2 storage is the top slot which already has a heatsink (do you didn't need to change drives). You can put it in the second or third slot though if you insist.

Remember those compatibility lists just means they tested it to work. If it's not on the list, it could be incompatible or it wasn't tested. I find it hard to believe a M.2 module wouldn't work... it's not like RAM.
I thought the same about the drive but I wanted to check with everyone since you all have A LOT more experience!

Should've asked about the heatsink too. :p

Being serious, either way you'll be fine, but your primary M.2 socket is the top socket under the heatsink (it connects directly to the CPU while the other slots connect via the chipset). Not a huge deal, but, something you should be aware of. The good news is, I believe you got a faster (and more expensive) drive. So there's that.

I know we should not talk about $ but is there a suggestion of the best place (if I'm allowed to ask about vendors) on where to purchase OEM Win11 Pro?

I'd try a place like URCDkey. You can often find licenses cheap there. Just be sure you're ready to use it ASAP as if they sit for a while, sometimes they can be invalid (someone else takes the volume license).

EDIT: Also, pretty sure BOTH M.2 modules you listed above are on the 'compatibility' list. Click the numbers (not the arrows!!) to find them. But yeah, I see a crucial P5 and 980 Pro............

Last edited:
Back