• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering The Following Components in my Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks good to me. Basically a newer version of my 11700k build I run right now. What GPU?

One thing I'll add about the D15. I used that before I went to water and it works amazing. The only problem is the second fan may hit your ram so make sure you can fit your chosen ram. Mine hit even with my ram which I consider lower profile than most on the market these days. To fix it I bought a Noctua 120 Chromax black fan which fit perfect and matched the cooler properly. Here is a pic of it with the 120mm over the ram.

View attachment 358781
OK.....If I have this problem....I'll try your fix!....Great idea!

Thanks!

I didn't know there was a compatibility list for drives......... interesting.

Well, the primary location for M.2 storage is the top slot which already has a heatsink (you didn't need to change drive). You can put it in the second or third slot though if you insist.

Remember those compatibility lists just means they tested it to work. If it's not on the list, it could be incompatible or it wasn't tested. I find it hard to believe a M.2 module wouldn't work... it's not like RAM.
To make sure I understand (haven't purchased the NVMe yet) there is already a built in heatsink and I don't need to purchase a NVMe with a heatsink?

I've never seen a NVMe slot....the ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi will arrive today so I'll take a look at it!

Thanks!

Should've asked about the heatsink too. :p

Being serious, either way you'll be fine, but your primary M.2 socket is the top socket under the heatsink (it connects directly to the CPU while the other slots connect via the chipset). Not a huge deal, but, something you should be aware of. The good news is, I believe you got a faster (and more expensive) drive. So there's that.
You said "The good news is, I believe you got a faster (and more expensive) drive. So there's that."......which NVMe are you referring to?

Last edited:
To make sure I understand (haven't purchased the NVMe yet) there is already a built in heatsink and I don't need to purchase a NVMe with a heatsink?
Yes. Well, the Samsung you picked even says the words HEATSINK on it... so it comes with one. The crucial does not. Some come with, some do not.

You said "The good news is, I believe you got a faster (and more expensive) drive. So there's that."......which NVMe are you referring to?
I'm referring to the Samsung drive. The 980Pro is a lot faster than the Crucial. You may want to look at the specifications of things before you purchase them, lol.

The grey rectangular piece that is right below the CPU socket is an M.2 slot with a heatsink. This is the preferred location for your NVMe as it is closest to the CPU. You do not need to buy an M.2 drive with a heatsink. Alternatively, if you do buy one with a sink you can opt to use the drives heatsink or the motherboards. Just know that some drives heatsinks may interfere with a GPU mounted right below it. (Generally not a problem though)

I think Earthdog was saying the Samsung is faster than the Crucial.

EDIT: Ninja'd again by E_D.

Yes. Well, the Samsung you picked even says the words HEATSINK on it... so it comes with one. The crucial does not. Some come with, some do not.

I'm referring to the Samsung drive. The 980Pro is a lot faster than the Crucial. You may want to look at the specifications of things before you purchase them, lol.
Yes....I did notice the differences in the specs....that's why I posted the question....not to mention the compatibility question with the MB....but like you said it's just a drive and that you saw that both are compatible....

Thanks agin!
Post magically merged:

The grey rectangular piece that is right below the CPU socket is an M.2 slot with a heatsink. This is the preferred location for your NVMe as it is closest to the CPU. You do not need to buy an M.2 drive with a heatsink. Alternatively, if you do buy one with a sink you can opt to use the drives heatsink or the motherboards. Just know that some drives heatsinks may interfere with a GPU mounted right below it. (Generally not a problem though)

I think Earthdog was saying the Samsung is faster than the Crucial.

EDIT: Ninja'd again by E_D.
Glad I asked....no reason to purchase the drive with a heatsink if there already is one on the MB!!....

Getting the MB today....can't wait to get a look at it....NOW to wait for the other parts and order the drive & OS

As was mentioned previously, order the OS when you're ready to install it. While I'm sure the key will be fine after a few days, I wouldn't take any chances. So basically, your order of operations is...

1. Create the Windows 11 install on a USB stick.
2. Buy key
3. Install Windows from USB stick.
4. Enter key when asked

Glad I asked....no reason to purchase the drive with a heatsink if there already is one on the MB!!....
You can buy that same drive without a heatsink, FYI (the words HEATSINK would NOT be in the title, lol). You don't need to fall back on the slower drive if you don't want to.

As was mentioned previously, order the OS when you're ready to install it. While I'm sure the key will be fine after a few days, I wouldn't take any chances. So basically, your order of operations is...

1. Create the Windows 11 install on a USB stick.
2. Buy key
3. Install Windows from USB stick.
4. Enter key when asked

You can buy that same drive without a heatsink, FYI (the words HEATSINK would NOT be in the title, lol - . You don't need to fall back on the slower drive if you don't want to.
Yes, I added the heatsink....thought I might need it until you explained about the MB Heatsink.....ordering the Samsung M.2 980Pro! w/o the heatsink!

As far as the OS....I think I will pass....even though I'm retired....it could cost me to lose my certifications.....which most are outdated anyway :cautious:

The way this world is headed.....I'm trying to stay in the safe & sane lane:cool:

it could cost me to lose my certifications....
???

...what certifications would you lose from installing Windows....... :shrug:

The keys from URCDkeys are just a volume license. MS has had my name/email info and I've bought probably half a dozen of these over the last few years. MS says that they will inactivate, but, none that I bought has so far.

Yes, I added the heatsink....thought I might need it until you explained about the MB Heatsink.....ordering the Samsung M.2 980Pro! w/o the heatsink!

As far as the OS....I think I will pass....even though I'm retired....it could cost me to lose my certifications.....which most are outdated anyway :cautious:

The way this world is headed.....I'm trying to stay in the safe & sane lane:cool:
Ok....here's some B$....

Trying to setup my USB drive to install once I get the parts and while running the assistant I get this error: "This PC doesn't meet the minimum...."

Suggestions?
Post magically merged:

???

...what certifications would you lose from installing Windows....... :shrug:

The keys from URCDkeys are just a volume license. MS has had my name/email info and I've bought probably half a dozen of these over the last few years. MS says that they will inactivate, but, none that I bought has so far.
MCSE; Citrix; Cissp.....really doesn't matter but I would like to not see any red flags.....

Last edited:
You probably need to enable TPM (Trusted Platform Module) in BIOS.
This. though I don't recall what his current system is (no signature we asked for in the first thread, lol). But I think it's really old and not sure if it is compatible...

It also tells you exactly what you need, I believe. There's a compatibility test that does for sure. Click around a bit... I think there's even a link where it says that.

but I would like to not see any red flags.....
that won't happen...it didn't when I had active certs. But of course, do you.

Last edited:
You probably need to enable TPM (Trusted Platform Module) in BIOS.
I can't remember which one of the TPM settings but something having to do with TPM will not pass the check. Tried it months ago and that's when I started thinking that I wouldn't upgrade then I saw that it was hitting EOL soon then I started having hardware issues with the MB....

I guess I can check my laptop and see if it will pass.....
Post magically merged:

Anyone ever use Rufis?

Last edited:
Right, but you should still be able to create the bootable media regardless. I think dude is trying an in-place upgrade (installation assistant) or something. Just create the media, bud!!!!

Second button down from the link above (and here) - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

View attachment 358829
That's what I'm trying to do!

Rufus (greater v3.18 or greater) works.....

Rufus bypasses the PC check.....NOT trying to upgrade this 10 yr old pc JUST trying to get my $hit together so when I have the parts......

Now I've got to figure out this other crap.....I know TPM has to be enabled but what other stuff? Am I going to have to use bitlocker?.....a lot changes in 10 years :rolleyes:

That's what I'm trying to do!
So... to be clear, you clicked on the download now button under "Create W11 Installation Media" (in green above) and it checked the system???

Last I recall, creating the bootable media as I pictured above doesn't check for system compatibility. It's literally just making a bootable media with W11 on it to install. Not sure I have an 'incompatible system' in the house to test, but walking through the steps on my PC, it doesn't check anything...

Your new hardware should automatically have TPM enabled (says W11 compatible on the box....) so no worries. Bitlocker is a natural part of windows installation. You don't even know it's there.

So... to be clear, you clicked on the download now button under "Create W11 Installation Media" (in green above) and it checked the system???

Last I recall, creating the bootable media as I pictured above doesn't check for system compatibility. It's literally just making a bootable media with W11 on it to install. Not sure I have an 'incompatible system' in the house to test, but walking through the steps on my PC, it doesn't check anything...

Your new hardware should automatically have TPM enabled (says W11 compatible on the box....) so no worries. Bitlocker is a natural part of windows installation. You don't even know it's there.
WTF??? Damn guess I need to learn how to read.....I thought before when creating a bootable USB I would click on the Assistant (windows 10).....but now it's different with Win11......yea that's the ticket.....it's M$ fault :LOL:

You are right I got it to work.....geezzz

I have DrainBramage trying to catch up on Safe Boot, TPM and Secure Boot which was all starting when I retired (or I should say a president canceled Government Contracts......Yea their fault too:ROFLMAO:

Thanks EarthDog!!.....told you I'm old.....Can't get no respect :cool:

Thanks again!

Back